Black Oak?

East Bridgewater, MA

This was on the tip of Cape Cod in Provincetown, MA in a very sandy environment. These trees were the dominant non-Pitch-Pine species.

Is this a Black Oak?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Quercus Nigra, ummmm, no. What did the bark look like

This message was edited Aug 17, 2015 8:19 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Quercus velutina, black oak, no. I think?! It is in the red oaks family, but still searching

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mass oaks, check on Quercus rubra, or quercus borealis. Northern red oak, or Champion oak.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Likely "just" a Pin Oak (Quercus palustris), given information provided and habitat described. That's not where I would expect Black Oak to be hanging out.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Leaves look like the pin oaks on my property. Still, not a bad tree among the trees that grow in Massachusetts. Can't say I'd know what a black oak looks like.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanx VV, wasnt sure of this one, but knew it wasnt a black oak, but got the wrong red oak, chuckl

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I remember my girl scout leader said red loaks and black oaks were the same, but then, that was not an expert I put a lot of stock into.

Here is a very good text from which to begin one's Oak Odyssey...

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh dear, 175 pages, and just the beginning?
(I am bookmarking it).

Oh and it is just for the eastern spp. Is there a comparable one for the west? It does seem like a good way to begin.

Oaks of North America, by Miller & Lamb (1985).

Thanks I will add this to my winter reading list, I try to find books like this used.

That's the best way to stock up.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too. So, I did see a lovely black oak at the Polly Hill Arboretum yesterday. Now I will have to figure out the wifi on the new camera to post it...

East Bridgewater, MA

Sorry for the late response, but I've been on vacation in VT this week. Thanks for everyone who contributed to this post. Watch for more pics from me in the coming days!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Black oaks I have in abundance around me. The nigra variety. Those that havent succumbed to our drought or flood over abundances the last few years. Actually had one of the old blackjack trees in Okla where I grew up. Still, Scrub and post oak seem to predominate with the black here.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the post. I just learned that Quercus nigra is what we call Water Oak which is sort of a weed tree around here with a short lifespan. I have one growing near the house, maybe too near I'm thinking after reading a bit about the tree. Its leaves are more like a Willow Oak, especially when young and it it usually holds some of them till Spring.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Pines, q nigra, sweetgums, elms, and the other oak behind the flag...

Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.