Leichtlinii Yellow Tiger Lily questions

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

I received five, end of season bulbs yesterday in the mail without planting directions. The bulbs were packed in wood shavings in a brown paper bag. They seem fine but have already sprouted and have three to four inch curled stems.These are very delicate and pale. When I plant these do I leave the stem uncovered or not? It seems to me if I leave the stem exposed, I would not be able to plant them very deeply and I thought they needed to be deeper than a couple of inches. How closely should they be planted to each other? Would it be better if I potted them up now in pots and then transplanted them after they have grown a bit? I would appreciate advice. Thanking you in advance.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There will probably be differences in opinions here, but this is my experience. I have received sprouted bulbs many, many times. It's typically late in the season, and they are typically a bit pale and sound just like yours.

I went ahead and put them in the ground with the sprouted section exposed. After all, if they had been planted earlier that's what you would be seeing now. I plant them with the sprout exposed, with some very loose soil on top but not covering them. The most important thing is to discourage creatures, (can't you see them now - is this lunch?) so after you plant them with the sprouts exposed give them a really good sprinkling of FRESHLY ground pepper. It will discourage squirrels (they hate it) and they are most likely to "sample" the goods.

Check on them every couple of days, make sure that they do not dry out, and reapply the pepper. I have done this with at least 20 bulbs and it has worked out fine 95% of the time.

You can, however, if you prefer, put them in pots until they are more established, and then just put the pot's entire contents, soil and all, in the ground. I have done that too, with success.

You can do either. The most important thing is to remember that lilies are never dormant, and they must not dry out.

Donna

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I think I am going to put them all in a large pot and keep them protected from my furry friends for the moment. They are all over the yard this year. I would hate to lose these pretty yellow lilies by being careless. I never even considered the squirrrels would eat them. I do know they dig up freshly planted stuff however. I believe they think I put something under the plant when I put it down. They are bad about digging the plant out and laying it on the ground, poor little roots exposed. At least they could replant whatever they dig up seems to me. But they don't.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I have had good luck with planting them in pots for their first year, then in ground, soil and all at the proper time for my area.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yep, Carol has done what I do.

Squirrels don't eat them, but they move them around. I had three Prince Promise last year and they seemed to disappear, and then I found one about 5 feet from the spot where I planted them. I think the squirrels dug them up, and did a very poor job burying the other two so they dried out and died!

I put in some sprouted ones this year and did the pepper thing and they were fine.

I have two sets of lilies I was given as gifts that I love but which clash with my color scheme. I put them in the back of my garage in pots. Last winter I forgot to water them at all (!!!) , my normal practice being to give them a little water at the beginning of each month during the winter. But they came through wonderfully in their pots, producing more flowers than last year.

This Royal Sunset lily spent the winter in a pot with no water. I also had an orange tiger lily I abused similarly that did very well.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Found the tiger lily shot! Look at the back of the bed. It's in a pot and went through the winter unwatered!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! That Royal Sunset is a real beauty! Thanks for sharing. I did manage to put the bulbs in a pot with some compost and finely sifted dirt to cover the sprouts and then covered the pot with a bread tray for the time being. (Hubby delivers bread and I use a bread tray to sift dirt, etc.) I believe they will do ok. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Richmond Hill, GA

Wyldeflwr, may I ask where you purchased? I've been looking for the yellow ones all year. Everyone is soldout. Thanks.
Arlene

This message was edited Aug 21, 2015 4:04 PM

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Whoa Donna, you lucky girl! You were meant to have it, lol.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There are some lovely people out there!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I'd say so! : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.