part shade/part blistering sun

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I have never known what to plant in areas of my yard that get 2 1/2 - 3 hrs of blistering hot afternoon sun, but are shaded the rest of the day. And now with my neighbor's trees being so much bigger than when I moved in, I have more areas like this than ever. I'm tempted to put in part sun plants but am afraid they won't bloom well. (I want to plant perennials.)

I know there are plants that will grow in sun or shade but the fierceness of the afternoon sun worries me. I already have burned hostas and hydrangeas from when I stupidly had a tree cut down without first seeing what it was shading. I live in GA in 7A.

What plants can succeed in this situation? I do not wish to have to do a lot of extra watering so if I have to settle for part sun plants that don't bloom well, then that is that. But I would also consider some variegated tall grasses if they would tolerate the environment.

TIA.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

In that tricky a setting I would actually try some annuals. Use them as a test for what will or won't grow there, and how well it might do. Annuals that thrive in hot sun include Petunias and Cathranthus. Depending on how well these grow and bloom would help you know which perennials to try.
You could also try a sort of 'one of each' of several perennials, and whichever thrive, go with more of these. Not spending a lot of money getting too many of any one item that might fail.
Are you winters mild enough to try things like Pansy, Viola, Snapdragon, Calendula and some others?

You have tried the 'shade plants' with Hydrangea and Hosta. So now you know you need to look into plants that are OK with more sun.

Some plants have showy leaves, so if they did not bloom, there is still some interest.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Diane_K. I like your "one of each" of several perennials idea since I try to limit my use of annuals. I know that Pansy, viola and snapdragon are annuals in my immediate area but will have to look into calendula.

The hydrangeas and hostas that I referred to are actually in a different area from where I want to plant this fall. Since I cut down that tree that was shading their area from afar, the front half of each hosta or hydrangea is in full sun! I could just kick myself! Lesson learned.

I actually think it's possible that a sun tolerant hosta might work in the mostly shade/part blistering sun area that I am questioning. The 2 1/2 -3 hrs of sun are split up into 3 different periods so maybe the plants could recuperate in between?

I forgot to mention I need some tall perennials for this area bcs some will be behind some dwarf cannas (abt 3 -4 ft) that I will be moving to the outer, sunnier edge.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Just did a little research and found out most of my hostas are considered sun tolerant (H plantaginea, Fragrant Boquet, Guacamole, Sugar and Cream and several more.) Even the blues I've got are considered to be more sun tolerant than most blues. What luck!!

And since most of my hostas need to be divided, I am set for hostas for my new area!

Now I just need to find a couple of other perennials that would (hopefully) put out a good set of blooms and then a couple taller perennials for behind the canna and in the very back.

Can't wait for more advice. These forums are incredible!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Firstyard- I live in a very different climate (Seattle) but had a similar spot, that got really hot summer sun off asphalt and reflected from a dark building in the mid-afternoon, but was otherwise very shady.

I found shade plants got toasted. Sun plants did much better. Probably my favorites were the tall Nicotiana types (Flowering tobacco). They should be humidity-tolerant in Georgia, if their relative smoking tobacco is any indication!

I really liked the varieties Nicotiana sylvestris 'Only the Lonely', the species N. langsdorffii, which has lime green flowers, and especially the hybrid 'Tinkerbell'. which has flowers sort of a rosy pink, very hard to capture in a photograph. A friend of mine said they were the most beautiful flowers she had ever seen!

There are shorter hybrids, and the short ones are the only ones you are likely to see at a Nursery, the tall ones are rarely available, but they are very easy from seed. They are generally considered annuals (only live one year), but here in zone 8 will often live through a mild winter.

Here is a link to a place that sells the seeds so you can look at them:

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/nicotiana.html

I would think that in the hot south, I would lean towards full sun plants. Very critical to have a good mulch to keep the roots cool.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Pistil, I have always wanted to grow Nicotiana!! But I have stayed away from it bcs it's an annual. (Also, I am seed challenged. You should see my pitiful looking oregano and cilantro!) However, I am going to put it on my back-up list since it is heat and humidity tolerant. They are so gorgeous!!

CindyM, so you think full sun plants would bloom with 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. of hot sun? I'm definitely going to mulch well. I had an experience this year that showed me how much that helps!

I have red astilbe and hosta 'Guacamole' that get afternoon sun. They're in decent soil (no extra fertilizer) and mulched with leaves. No wilt or scorching and they're blooming like crazy this year. While it doesn't get quite so hot for a long period of time here, I believe a good mulch is the major key to success. In your hot south, it's not unusual to give even sun plants (including tomatoes) some shade in the afternoon. I think it's a great idea to experiment until you find a group of plants that will do well in your spot. If you can, a morning watering before the heat of the day might also help if it's been dry, especially with young plants.

Natick, MA

Would daylilies work?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

CindyM, you are absolutely right. Even full sun plants appreciate afternoon shade here. I wish I had an area with morning sun and afternoon shade. Oh how I wish!! And mulch has worked wonders with preventing wilting of my hostas and hydrangeas that are heat stressed. Doesn't seem to help with scorching tho. They still scorch but they are in full sun whereas this new area will be less sun.

valal, I was planning to put my daylillies on the outer sunnier edge of the new area. The edge gets abt 4hrs or a little more of sun. I have some stellas there and they have not been doing well as far as blooming but that may be more due to my neglect.

If your new area gets less sun, how about moving your full-sun hostas over there? I know different hostas can withstand different levels of sun but I don't know which varieties can do full, hot sun. I do wish I had morning sun for some things but, living on a wooded lot means I only get a maximum of half day sun in small areas.

Dallas, TX

firstyard - feel your pain. Also have large area that gets morning shade and then some blistering hot afternoon sun. I keep thinking that my plants are supposed to get morning sun and afternoon shade but doesn't seem to work out like that. However, last fall I was able to plant some perennials in a new bed where I feared that a few hours of afternoon sun (blistering or not) was not going to be enough sun. I got them planted (they were babies) just before our surprise Nov. snow. Now, to my surprise, those perennials are doing well. I keep them well mulched and even added more mulch the other day.

One plant that has done too well for me is American Germander. Try some sages & salvias.

I planted some daylilies last fall and they've got some leaves but that's about it. Some of that is my fault b/c having never planted them before, I think I damaged them during planting.

I'm going to leave it to others to discuss sages/salvias. But they might be your best bet. Some can handle both shade and sun.

Natick, MA

Would something like a black eye susan have enuf sun in that are....they are so hardy they grow just about anywhere ?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

CindyM, your wooded lot must be a challenge. Do you have to deal with a lot of root competition?

I think my hostas are "sun tolerant" rather than full sun. But they do need to be divided. I am planning to take the front part of my Guacamole and Fragrant Bouquet (since the front is the part that is currently scorching from being in full sun) and plant a division or two of each in the new area. I will leave the "mother" plants where they are bcs what's left of them will be in shade.

My plantaginea is in a part sun area so it is not scorching but does also need to be divided. So some of it will go in the new area, too, along with a Sugar and Cream that is currently in full shade. Not to mention that I hit a couple of good hosta sales last week and bought 4!

tx_flower_child, that's great that your perennials are doing well. Gives me hope. I will look into the salvias. Seems like there is one that is perennial here (or is that my wishful thinking?).

valal, funny you should mention black eyed susan. A friend wants to give me some and I was going to plant them on the sunnier outer edge. But maybe I should plant some there and also plant some further back and see how they do. Thanks!

Yes, root competition can be a water problem when it's hot and dry. I haven't had to do any watering until the last part of summer when it's hot and not as rainy. My small front yard, which is dominated by a maple tree, gets really dry and the lawn grass suffers. The root competition also causes perennial plants to reduce in size and vigor.

Natick, MA

first, especially if you dont have to go buy the black eyed susans, try a couple in your shady/beating sun area and see! I am experimenting with same in various areas of my yard as a friend gave me some as well, so rather than stick them all in the sun area (I have various levels of sun, but my "full sun" is pretty much taken now) I am experimenting with other areas. Maybe we can compare notes :)

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I guess that everyone have different experiences , because I have Black eyed Susan in full sun and also in partial shade and they both do well ever year . This year I noticed the partial shade one had a black stuff on the leaves and I also saw this at the plants at our church garden, but despite that they bloomed beautifully.I moved an Astilbile from morning sun because it was not blooming and I put in in full sun , it bloomed one year and did not bloom that s year . I just cannot understand this.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

cytf, glad to hear that the black eyed susans should do well in either area. I agree it is hard to understand abt the Astilbe. I want to try some bcs they are so pretty.

Strange about the Astilbe not blooming in shade. I have some that bloom in full shade and part sun. Full sun might be harsh for them if they don't get enough moisture. They do seem to like rich soil with mulch. I've heard that they can be fertilizer-lovers but I've found that if the soil is kept rich with compost and leaf mulch, I don't need to fertilize them.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank for the advice on the Astible ,will try the compost and mulch.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Just want to give an update for those of you not on my other thread. I hit a great $1 clearance sale on perennials in 1 gal. pots. I tried hard to remember your suggestions and got BES, echinaceas, rudbeckias, meadow sage, salvia, astilbe, bee balm, a hosta - 22 plants in all. Along with what I had purchased earlier at other sales, divisions, and volunteers that I had potted up at home, I've got close to 50 plants waiting to be planted. Of course, the actual planting is not the hard part - it's all the prep work to the soil, as well as moving other plants. Happy Fall, everybody!

I am glad you got some of everything. Lets see what works the best, then go get more of those (or make divisions) to fill in that hot sun/shade location.
Move the others that do not like that spot to another location. More consistent sun or shade, whichever they want.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Just since I started this thread, I notice that the position of the sun has changed and that area is now getting a LOT more sun. So I'm glad I got some full sun/part sun plants that ya'll had suggested.

Also, I decided this afternoon that I am making work for myself by putting the astilbe and bee balm in such a dry area. I will put them in another garden area instead that stays moist.

Tomorrow I'm starting the digging!

Good to be watching the area for several months, and know how the sun changes with the seasons. It will be important to group plants with similar needs together- plants that need more water than you can give this area are indeed better off in another part of the garden.

Still, the best way to find out what will work is to try several plants, like you are doing. A difficult spot like this can surprise you, and something you did not think would make it, might be the real survivor.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I hope the hostas turn out to be one of the surprise survivors!

Going outside now to dig up some iris and put them in a different garden. Hired a neighbor to come this evening to do some of the hard digging. I'm on my way!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.