Luna Moth (Actias luna)

Kansas City, MO

Thumbnail by Bobconcrete
Fort Wayne, IN

Luna Moths are so pretty, I've only seen 1 or 2 in my lifetime. Do you know of any requirements for them?

(Zone 5a)

I have not seen any at all.

What is probably most needed are the proper plants for the larvae...I looked it up and found these trees.
white birch (Betula papyrifera), persimmon (Diospyros virginiana), sweet gum (Liquidambar styraciflua), hickories (Carya), walnuts (Juglans), and sumacs (Rhus).

Sadly, some people view them as pests, so destroy them in the caterpillar stage. I hope to get to a native tree nursery this weekend and may just pick one of these up. I live within the Luna Moth's range.

Fort Wayne, IN

The one I remember seeing was at a lake house we stayed at in Michigan and there were a lot of White Birches. I think all those trees grow around here I will get on the website and see what the caterpillars look like. It would be awesome to see those around, they are beautiful!!

(Zone 5a)

Here's a photo I found.
http://www.butterfliesetc.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/13173/image/13763/

Our local native nursery is by appointment only and they were not available this Saturday, but will be in two weeks. Some sources say the Prunus serotina – Black cherry, is a larval host. I do not have many native trees on our property. This would be a good one for food for wildlife.

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You for the website of pictures. I will certainly be looking for all of those. When I think of how everyone sprays and want such manicured lawns what it is actually doing to the population of good bugs along with the bad. We don't spray our yard and have clover for the bees, I think the clover and dandelions are pretty, but those are the thoughts of an older lady that loves the country of green acres of winter wheat and corn rows.

Thumbnail by acts238 Thumbnail by acts238

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.