Adenium blooming in water!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I received this beautiful Adenium as a gift and am going to root it. However, it had nice buds so thought I would first see if they would open in water. It made a long trip to me in the mail, but look at its tenacity!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

Yeah! Flowers are always such a special treat. I hope your plant makes roots.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2015 10:11 PM

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is still beautiful, Helen. I so hope it will make roots. I love it so much! It has a second bud ready to open also.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2015 6:38 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's the flower of the second bud! I have so enjoyed these flowers. I hope I can root it and now have the plant in pumice and mist it and on a bed of damp rocks (as instructed by a local Adenium expert). He says they are not real easy to root from a cutting. I'm going to give it all I've got though!
(Helen: I remember you had some photos that turned on DG. Do you know why?)

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Nancy, I envy everyone their Adeniums. I've killed every one I've tried with never a bloom! Lovely flower.

Bill

Decatur, GA

Nancy, I asked DG about the turned pictures and they said it happened with iPhone pictures. :-
I've also noticed that some pictures from my iPhone downloaded to my MacBook don't show up on the pull down window on DG to upload on their site. Another :-
There are some glitches I am not savvy enough to be able to figure out.
So I am trying to get better about using my camera, which actually takes better pictures anyway.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

My pictures are all taken with my camera and NOT my iPhone so DG is wrong about that. Some turn and some don't. I remember back a long time ago on DG they used to turn sometimes and Dave fixed it. Well, he's gone so I don't know if the tech people now can put in a fix for it, especially since they think it is only photos taken on the iPhone. It is very annoying problem.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks, rockminer! I have quite a few Adeniums that don't bloom but they do have nice caudex and green leaves in summer so I don't mind too much.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Did the Adenium root?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, yes, the Adenium rooted very fast under my artificial lights and planted in pumice. Very nice strong root system!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, that's a great root system!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Nancy, you inspired me to do exactly the same thing (minus the artificial lights) with a Pachypodium that I had to prune. I've tried rooting it before without success (it needs regular pruning) but maybe a nice moist pumice bed is better than regular soil which goes dry in between watering. So far they haven't died, which I take as a good thing. This seems to be a very hit or miss thing but I don't mind if I have to keep trying. :)

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, Baja, pumice is terrific for rooting. Hope it works for you! Here is my plant now that I have planted it in semi-hydroponics and still under lights.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.