So dang HOT!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Is anyone else huddled in their home waiting for the first cool breeze in (maybe) September?! I haven't been doing much gardening at all because of this heat. I wait till around 7 pm & do what I can until dark, then jump in the pool! I didn't even plant a veggie garden this season & I'm glad I didn't. I live in W. Houston & I can't even remember the last time we had ANY rain. All that rain over winter & spring is probably gone.

Fortunately I found a new passion I can do indoors--jewelry making! I've tapped into creativety I didn't know was hiding inside me! At almost 58 years old, it's quite a surprise☺️ Well, just wanted to chat since there's so little action here at DG lately!
Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio
Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

It's hotter than hot down here in S TX, too, Janet. And dry. But at least we had a LOT of rain in May & June, almost enough to get us out of the severe drought. I haven't done much in the way of gardening, either, but due as much to age and arthritis as to heat. Most of my gardening is in pots.
Just wanted to say your belt is beautiful, and very original. At least I think it is a belt, hard to tell size without something in the picture to give it some scale. Could be a bracelet, I'm thinking. But really nice! Keep up the good work, and I hope you will show us more of what you make!.

Vern

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's "only" 107º up here in Fort Worth. I'm hibernating inside until December.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The dog and cat won't even go outside. This is crazy.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

cabin fever in Aug

The thermometer in my car said 108*.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Vossner, you are exactly right! I've never thought about it like that.

Remember when we were complaining about the rain?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, it's so good to be in Tx. My arthritis says the heat feels great, my face wants the washrag soaked in ice water please!
Love the handcrafts bariolo!

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

Working outside in the mornings, have fixed the leaky kitchen sink and bathtub faucet now time for contact lenses and filing, sorting, bookkeeping, and a mass overhaul of quickbooks aka starting over (upgrade caused some issues and I have to reenter ALL of 2014 and this year.)

Loving my ac!

Dallas, TX

I'm doing same as Stephanie - - - hibernating. I never cared for 100degree weather, but 104, 105 and 107 (not counting the wonderful 'heat index') is pushing it. I'm counting on the word 'perennial' for much of what I'm growing. Everything made it through all the snow and heavy rains so they just better make it thru the heat.

BTW, unless I get up at 5 in the morning (unlikely), I'm guessing it's too hot to feed my guys. Oh, but wait. Just heard the radio - - - the high is only going to be 98 today. It's a virtual cold spell.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Not virtual, 'cold' spells chase each other thru every 3rd or 4th day. Temperatures are relative- could be no more than a degree different. I am looking at plants that are watered but its not helping them a great deal.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ha! I see I'm not the only one hibernating! We can dream of cooler weather. Stand in front of your freezer. Close your eyes. Open the door & blow a deep breath into the freezer. Close the door! We've been living in W. Houston since 1999. It was not this hot in S. Louisiana😊

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Its a different heat this year... prob somehow connected to the drought on the western sides of the USA

I remember having days maybe weeks of 100+ heat but not 108* for days on end, this is the actual temp, not the heat index. Most of the summer has been cooler the average but these last few weeks have been terrible. I think all the rain in the spring has made for more humid conditions now and we don't normally have humidity here.

I'm waiting on that El Niño. Lol

I'm hibernating too.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The year my daughter turned 1- 1972- We moved to Wichita Falls. 113° in the shade for maybe 20 days in a row- in June. The humidity here, well, its not as bad as usual, but the water restrictions - the well water smells foul from water companies. Boiling might not be a bad idea...

Dallas, TX

Could be my memory, and probably is, but it seems like my red oaks and my dreaded Chinese Pistache trees are losing leaves (not dangerously so) much earlier than usual. Anyone else noticed this kind of thing? Hoping it's just the heat. My oaks always drop some leaves, just seems like more than usual. But no, they don't look bald. I'm pretty sure the Pistache trees are losing leaves and fruit earlier than usual. I keep lots of heavy mulch where that mess drops and haven't been fast enough to keep up.

Again, the heat could be playing havoc on my brain rather than on my trees.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Trees all the way north have been losing yellowing leaves. Its heat and drouth stress. August just waited so long past July before it slammed full tilt into late summer. We cant even safely water due to water restrictions here.

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

Here the Hackberry trees are losing their leaves like mad, but apparently growing new leaves at the same time, I don't see any bare branches. Just lots of brown leaves on the ground. The Live Oaks seem to be okay. As are the Mesquites. I'm thinking the years of severe drought, followed by this spring of too much rain, now drought again, coupled with constant higher than normal temperatures and lots of strong winds, is wreaking havoc on all sorts of life, plant and animal both. Wonder where it will all end. . . . . .. .

Vern

Fort Worth, TX

One of my pear trees started dropping its leaves, I dropped a soaker hose on its roots this morning. (it depends on actual rain and septic drain field mostly and the septic is NOT much.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I have to say there are a few plants really thriving in this heat!
My lavender is blooming!
The Pride of Barbados looks great.
The cosmos go crazy.
My yellow shrimp plant finally made yellow tops.
The sweet almond smells heavenly in the evening.
And the pictures aren't in the order I listed!
Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Not sure there is much hope for most of my plants, but that hard rain left mudpuddles and an inch of rain in the dogs bowl today - and I enjoyed the cooler air that has been here last few days...

Fort Worth, TX

we are supposed to get rain tomorrow here

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Janet I wish I had as many flowers as you right now.. the only things still blooming for me are some zinnia, coneflower, turks cap and of course, the wild petunias that never quit!

Really hoping for some rain also, and summer to be over lol.. I've had enough!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

RAIN!! At least I think that's the wet stuff falling from the sky, it's been sooo long! We had a bit this afternoon + a lot of thunder. And a nice downpour yesterday? But not for long. So at least we've gotten a little break from the 105+ temps.

Fort Worth, TX

Just started sprinkling here, had to go put my truck window up

No rain here but it is cooler but much more humid.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We picked up only 1/8" of rain, but I'll take it along with the cooler temps and cloudy day. I have the windows open to air out the house a little bit. Most of our rain came overnight and very early this morning.

Well, it rained here this afternoon, after my previous post. The thermometer in my truck said 73* unbelievable for August in Tx.

Fort Worth, TX

I think I got about 3/8 of an inch, while the temps are delightful. Going back outside.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's incredibly humid here. I've been hiding inside cleaning, straightening & organizing my jewelry/craft room. Almost done! Been thinking about a Fall veggie garden. Gotta lot of weeds to pull in my larger plot but the small one is ready☺️

Fort Worth, TX

I am planting fall tomatoes and peppers and going to try some summer squash in pots tomorrow. Already have broccoli and fall squash and swiss chard in the ground along with sweet potatoes and hoping to get ANY tomatoes off the ones I planted in May when it rained, then got too hot before ever fruiting

I'm amazed how fast the temps went up after the cold front on Thursday. I guess I got used to it too quickly. Lol

Fort Worth, TX

I know. In garden now, it is 91. Bee suit next hopefully not for too long

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Menominee Wis was cold. 55° brisk wind with constant mist. Summer is over up here. Those clouds are still rollin south off the Green Bay.

Fort Worth, TX

I'm glad it's not over yet, just put seeds in pots for greenhouse veggies, they will germinate much better in the garden at 90 with a twice daily sprinkle and full sun

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.