Coralberry (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus)

Universal City, TX(Zone 9a)

Something is eating the leaves on my Coralberry plants. The same thing happened last year. The problem is, even after thorough investigation, I can't find the culprits. Any suggestions?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Any pictures of the damages? Or descriptiion of the damage? Clearwing moth larvae are one hummingbird type moth found EARLY in the beginning of morning that feed on coralberry

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It could be grasshoppers they can do a lot of damage.

Fort Worth, TX

I will be putting my dahlia's inside a windowscreen cage next year as the grasshoppers have wiped them out 3 years running, i didn't even get one bloom this year. I am not sure about some of the grasshopper remedies safety with bees, and since I don't worry much about other stuff they eat, and I catch and feed to hens, I'm just going to guard my delicate ones.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Good idea Gypsi.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you tried Nolo Bait, Gypsi? My friend tried it on her garden and had wonderful results.

Fort Worth, TX

Nolo bait carries a virus that occasionally troubles honeybees and I raise honeybees, I did think about it and inquire on my bee forum but no one could tell me if it would be a problem

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Didn't know about the virus it carried. You definitely don't want to use if since you have the bees.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I am going to try this. Kaopectate Kaolin clay, a mineral used in Kaopectate, forms a barrier between grasshoppers and plants. Mix one tablespoon of the anti-diarrheal medication with one gallon of water and spray it liberally on plant leaves. It also works on leaf rollers, stink bugs, mites and apple maggots. Just found this and I am going to try it. Tried the Nolo bait and have too many grasshoppers I guess cause I still have them since using them.

Fort Worth, TX

I have a gallon jug of kaopectate for dogs (and cattle, etc). It is pure kaolin, do you think it will work?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes it is the Kaolin they don't like. Please let us know if it works. I have spend alot of money trying to keep them away.

Fort Worth, TX

if it does work this gallon jug cost me $15 or $20 at the feed store, and as long as you get plastic inside the paper liner of the cap (which will mold) it lasts forever. 10 years so far, had to bleach and wash out jug and line the cap

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Tractor supply is 12.99 a gallon that is great to know :)

Fort Worth, TX

well I don't know if I have enough grasshoppers or their treats left to try it this fall, I've been catching the hoppers to feed the hens, and the most vulnerable plants that they could be relied on to hit have gone dormant. But certainly something to try next year. You are farther south than I am, maybe you can try and give the report?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I may do that. I know my neighbor is complaining also

Fort Worth, TX

it is an inexpensive solution.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The hoppers are bad here too. The dog came in last night with one on his back, he didn't see to notice or care.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would've freaked out if that had come in with my dog!

I must admit it wasn't my finest moment. Lol Boomer loves to lay out on the deck in the evenings all 80 lbs of him. My son let him in and said there is a bug on his back (rolling my eyes). You need to know Boomer to truly appreciate the situation. The grasshopper jumped off and I stepped on it....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh no! I can't stand that crunching noise!

Fort Worth, TX

I grab them and feed to chickens

I would have feed them to the chickens too but it was 10:00 pm I wasn't even thinking of the crunching sound I just wanted it gone,

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Me too hate the crunching sounds but hate the grasshoppers more. The bad thing is I think (Praying) I have eradicated the big black and red ones but the big green are so hard to see. My dog (Doxie) loves to play with them and then they end up dead when I get them from her. She even rolls on them. Really silly to watch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.