Ilex decidua question

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know if Ilex verticillata 'Southern Gentleman' or 'Jim Dandy' will pollinate a female Ilex decidua?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - no.

Ilex decidua - Possumhaw Holly - blooms much earlier and is completely finished before any of the Ilex verticillata (Winterberry Holly) clan even starts blooming.

You may have reasonable success with a male Ilex opaca - American Holly - whose members have coincidental bloom times with Possumhaw Holly.

You should invest in a bloom chart like this, and maybe even a membership in HSA. An annual meeting is coming to a town near you...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sweet, thanks for the info. I have 3 Ilex opaca seedlings in the yard but I'm unsure of their sex. Chances are at least one is male. I really like the Possumhaw holly.

Excellent plant which is sorely underused in today's general landscape, and undeservedly so.

Do you have a seedling plant, or did you acquire a named selection? There are quite a few handsome clones, but far too few normally available for purchase.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My Ilex opaca seedlings are the straight species. One is from an MAG member and the other two were plucked from a yard a few houses away. The tallest is probably 3 years old and the other two are probably 1st and 2nd year seedlings. How long till they start flowering?

Sorry to be unclear. I was asking about the identity of your Possumhaw Holly.

You stated previously that the American Holly plants were seedlings. They will make you wait more than a few years before flowering. I would venture (from seed) that it will take seven to ten years under normal garden conditions. You will have completely different results with rooted cuttings of named selections grown in horticultural production systems. Ridiculously heavy flowering and fruiting can be found on plants in 3-5 gallon pots, three years old from potting up.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh well I don't have an Ilex decidua yet. I'm considering it for our yard. Perhaps in the spring when we get our shed. Not sure yet. Just trying to get all my facts together. Thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.