Bank Parking Lot Evergreen

East Bridgewater, MA

Looks bonsai-like except for the normal size of it. Is it a type of true cedar?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That's the one of the selections of False-cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'.

Editing specific epithet error...

This message was edited Aug 2, 2015 9:51 PM

East Bridgewater, MA

Wow, that species gets around. How many cultivars are there you think?

East Bridgewater, MA

200 varieties at least according to Wikipedia. Wow!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Chamaecyparis obtusa is often tried in the upper Midwest, but seldom if ever successful. Even with the heat island effect of Minneapolis it seems to suffer badly when we get a true z4 winter. I've tried a couple; they did not make it out of their first winter.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Hinoki Cypress Chamaecyparis obtusa.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not to leave the initial post's subject too far, but...

Why does this plant get to use Cypress in its common name when it isn't a member of the genus Cupressus?

Is it because it is far more closely related to that genus than, say, Juniperus virginiana is to Cedrus? You know that there are those that will go to their grave (maybe even to their cedar chest) not wanting to let go of their Eastern Red Cedar.

I respect that you have been trying to convince/cajole professionals and laypeople to adopt a commonality among common names, and I'm not aiming to be argumentative. I'm sure that a rationale exists to come to this conclusion.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Cupressus and Chamaecyparis are fairly close relatives, so it's reasonable to call species in both (and several other Cupressaceae genera) 'Xxxx Cypress'.

Same as e.g. many genera in Poaceae are called 'Xxxx Grass', many genera in Arecaceae are called 'Xxxx Palm', or many genera in Orchidaceae are called 'Xxxx Orchid'.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.