So quiet

(Zone 4b)

It seems to me that this forum...others too, have been much less active this season than in the past. Maybe less members?

This message was edited Aug 1, 2015 8:12 AM

Natick, MA

I've noticed that, too, Rouge, but I haven't had many interesting topics to discuss/bring up for this or other forums.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I agree. I don't know where everyone is??
Maybe there's something going on that we don't know about. I'm always the last to find something out! (which is okay with me!)
I've been on vacation. Nice cool weather-was so nice. Now, back in the oven!

Natick, MA

Birder,
Glad you had a great vacation...cooler weather is definitely a plus! It's been so HOT/HUMID here! Today actually dried out, so while it was HOT, it was NOT HUMID for the first time in a couple weeks!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't know about anyone else in my area, but we had such a hot few weeks beginning in the spring, our Clems burned up fast. Blooms did not last as long as other times. I kinda took a break from doing much in the garden this year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

FYI--
Many, many people from DG have migrated over to ATP (All Things Plants).
It is still owned by Dave--run by Dave and Trish--but it is FREE and very
nicely laid out and easy to navigate.
http://allthingsplants.com/

Feel free to check it out. DG as we knew it no longer exists, sad--but true.
You will find many of the familiar people over there in the ATP's MAF.
G.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Gitagal - Thanks for mentioning ATP. I just joined and started posting comments. I agree that this forum (DG) has changed for the worse and just does not get the traffic it once did. Too bad. Gene

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wow. That is a shame. I just joined this group, and this will be my first year growing Clematis. I was hoping this forum would be really active (as I need some help and advice, LOL!).

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

NJIris: You have some questions?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

All Things Plants.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gasrocks::: I've been to All Things Plants . . . . and posted a few weeks ago and got replies, or perhaps 1 reply. The "Clematis" forum on ATP doesn't appear to be very active either . . . .or very welcoming.

Charleston, SC

Hi All:

I noticed that too and I'm a new member but I do have a question for you all. I have a General Sikorski Clematis (on the way) and it says you can grow this variety in a pot. I have several large pots which I would like to put this in to grown on a new fence (the smaller on on the right) my husband built to hide our trash cans. Any suggestions on what type of trellis I can attach to the fence to get this plant growing and also what kind of dirt/feeding do you suggest?

Thumbnail by 843rphyllis
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Phyllis:
This is what I know:
General S. is a very nice, easy to grow clematis.
It is possible to grow Clematis in pots to leave outside if the hardiness zone is two zones colder than your zone. Although, I have not done this.
Always invest in a sturdy trellis from any garden center. The thin, spindly ones can get too heavy with weight from a mature clematis and fall over or get blown over. Some people use cattle panels. I think that would work nicely for your fence and probably cheaper!

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I think everyone is moving to Facebook. So many groups and all for free. I for one will not be resubscribing. The face books groups are so active I can hardly keep up with the posts. But here is my latest. Moved from WI 2 years ago, where I had about 15 different vines, to Phoenix area where clematis do not do well in the heat. Planted 4 last year, 2 in ground and 2 in pots. The ones in ground burned to a crisp could not handle the 110+ heat but the pots made it as I was able to move them out of the sun. My Bees Knees is flowering now.

Thumbnail by dmwade
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Nice Clematis" Bees Knees

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

What are the Facebook groups you are referring to ? I don't recall seeing Facebook groups having to do with Clematis . So, let me know what the scoop is. I would hate for all of DG's to just up an die. Did everyone move to ATP ? I don't find a lot of action on the Clematis group on ATP at all. I would really like to find an action-filled group on Clematis somewhere, since this is my First year growing Clematis.

This message was edited May 15, 2016 8:49 AM

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Well NJIrisGuy- I also have not been a fan of ATP (now called National Gardening Association). I like DG, but we really did lose a lot of folks in the recent "upgrade" mess. Well I for one am hopeful that we can resuscitate the website. It just takes a few folks on each forum to welcome newbys, and if we persist a year or so maybe it will be good again. There are still some very good gardeners here, who are friendly and super helpful. You, for example!

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

It's a shame everyone has gone and left DG and gone to ATP. However, I also just found out that it costs money to be a member of DG. I do not think it costs money to belong or join ATP. That may also play a part. I'm not finding a lot of 'friendly-people' on the Clematis Forum at ATP and there doesn't appear to be a lot of threads or action there either. It all just appears rather Dull and boring to me. I would like DG's to be a lot livelier with a lot more threads about Clematis from growers.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Dear "Guy"
Please hang in there as I am. This has been the best garden website anywhere, ever. I contemplated leaving, but I started thinking about all of the wonderful information both from professionals as well as gardeners that share their experiences in Plant Files reviews and in many, many of the forums. DG is my "go-to" when I'm researching anything garden related. I get real life invaluable experiences here that are pretty hard to find anywhere else all in one spot. As was written above, there's still a lot of good gardeners here, and I go to them for advice. When something exciting happens in my garden, I go to Daves Garden and tell my friends here. Also, the members on this website remain courteous and respectful of other gardeners and their opinions.
No cursing or irate, hateful comments.

The forums are a little slow, but I find it picking up some which makes me happy. Those of us that are still here will continue to make this a very good garden website and hopefully, we will get new, good gardening members to join. The fee is $20.00. I probably get my money's worth from information here in a couple of months. Where else can you get all of the things I mentioned sitting right here in your easy chair on one website?

So, please continue to post, ask questions, and post comments.

I understand you are new to growing Clematis and wanted some information.
Here's what I have learned:
Clematis come in three groups:
Group 1 blooms the earliest and must be carefully pruned if not at all.
Group 2 blooms next and in the "early" Spring you cut the vine to a nice healthy bud e.g. right above where two leaves are opposite of each other. Group 2 blooms again in the fall when the weather cools down. I personally don't get much of that second bloom. If I watered more, I'd get a second flush of blooms.
Group 3: blooms last. It is pruned about 12 inches from the ground.
All are pruned in early Spring (first week in March around here, zone 6)

When you plant Clematis, plant them deeper than the soil surface of the pot they came in. This helps anchor the vine. Also, use manure or compost and mix it in your soil when you plant your clematis. Also, cut your vine to 12 inches if they have any length to them when you first plant your clematis. This will allow branching in the future and gives the plant the opportunity to get settled in and grow roots instead of having to grow roots, leaves, and blooms. It's kind of delayed satisfaction. Clematis like their roots to be cool (shade) while their vines like sunshine. I either put a nice flat rock over the roots or plant some plant in front of the clematis to give it the shade. I prefer the rock because the clematis doesn't have to share the nutrients and water with another plant.

Every Spring, top dress your Clematis with manure or compost. Your Clematis will thank you with more and larger flowers. Top dress them at the same time you prune them. Like roses, quit fertilizing them late summer. You don't want to encourage new growth before a freeze. I like to give my Clematis more manure sometime in July.

The most difficult and frustrating part of growing clematis for me is you have to really watch them as they grow up the trellis or you will have a tangled mass. I like to grow Group 3 clematis so I can just cut them off in the spring and they start over.
You have to guide the vines up the trellis the way you want them. I tie my Clematis vines to a part of the trellis to guide them the way I want them to grow and look. If I get busy for a couple of weeks and don't watch them, I end up with a tangled mess. :(

This is what I know about Clematis. There's much more information. Other gardeners can add to this information and correct me if I have given wrong information. This turned into an article! I hope you learned something! :) And, Happy Gardening.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have a lot of Clematis - some in pots, some in the ground - there are (4) Planted in the ground, and 7 or 8 planted in pots and containers - mostly Stone Urns, strong enough to withstand harsh winter temps and protect the roots. Unfortunately, I have more Group 2 than I have Group 3 Clematis, making Pruning rather difficult next year. This is the 1st year I am growing Clematis. Most came from Mail-Order, an some came from the local Lowe's or Home Depot in bud/bloom. To be honest, I'm happier with the plants I got locally in bud/bloom from Lowe's and Home Depot. The plants I got from Mail-Order nurseries were small and 'puny'. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I don't know if I will ever order Clematis Mail-Order again.
So I'm still very much in a learning curve right now, and am hoping that the upcoming Summer season will be a good one for my Clematis. Just so you know, here are the Clematis I currently have: Niobe, H.F. Young, Snow Queen, Josephine, Rouge Cardinal, Rosemoor, Edna Spath, Barbara Jackman, Westerplatte and Warsaw Nike, and (2) Unknown's from Lowe's (No tag). So, Wish me Luck !

This message was edited May 17, 2016 7:58 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Buying local is great if it's what you want. If you can't find a particular clematis that you would like to have locally, then you will need to find it via internet.
The Clematis you purchased locally are bigger because they come in a big truck to the stores. When you order a plant, you have to pay shipping and handling. The larger the pot, the more it costs to receive it in the mail.
You never know what the local store will have each season. So, if you are really wanting a certain Clematis, you'll have a much better chance of getting it from a mail order catalog.
Also, if it's one of the newer Cematis, you'll have a better chance of getting from a mail order catalog vs local. Local carries "older" Clematis that's been around awhile. That's not a bad thing. It's a good thing if it's something you like.
It's the same with shrubs and trees. Imagine ordering a tree or shrub mail order. It has to be realatively small.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

The Clematis I received Mail-Order were small and puny. I was horrified! And I ordered from 4 different Mail-Order Vendors, and they were all alike. It will take
years, and I mean about 5-years before these Clematis ever reach blooming stage.
One of them was in such bad condition, that I demanded the vendor send me a new plant.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I ordered two from Garden Crossings and they came in excellent condition and were Huge. They had cut the vine to 12 inches for shipping. There were many stems/vines coming out of the pot.
I also ordered one from Bluestone Perennial. While it wasn't small, it wasn't as developed as the Clematis from Garden Crossings. So, don't give up on all mail order catalogs. The two I mention are reputable, and you will satisfied with your plants.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I will check out Garden Crossings - but I've never heard of them, and they don't pop up when you enter "Clematis Nurseries" on a Google Search. I have 2 more coming this week - one from Joy Creek Nurseries, and one from Clematis.com. I'll let you know what condition they are both in when they arrive !

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

There doesn't appear to be any activity here or on the Clematis forum on ATP.
I don't know what's up with this. It just doesn't appear that anyone is into Clematis
or wants to talk about them anyhow.

Natick, MA

I haven't been around much the past couple months (on DG) due to various personal reasons including a back injury flaring up, but hope to change that.HAVE been watching my 2015 planted clematis sprout this year (this is 2nd year) and thrilled several have buds! Cant wait til they open.

NJirisguy, can you tell me a little bit about your growing them in pots? How large a pot do you use, and your experience?? I ordered a few new clematis (Bluestone has a sale going right now) this year and/have some growing in my living room and will transition them outside soon. These were very small ones that needed some TLC.

Just a side note: You do not have to pay to use Daves Garden, only if you want to see "certain" threads/forums. I am a member and mostly joined 2-3 yrs ago because I want to participate in the plant trading forums, etc. But much of the site is free. Just so you know :)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

You can plant clematis in pots, leave them outside if your zone is two zones warmer that what the clematis will tolerate.
Example: I'm in zone 6. Zone 4 tolerance clematis should work in a pot outside.

Valal: hope you are feeling better and things have calmed down for you.

This message was edited May 23, 2016 5:05 PM

Natick, MA

Thx BIRDER, I have to pace myself but have been happy I'm able to do some gardening the past 3 weeks.

I will have to ck my clematis zones for containers....tho would prefer to put them in the ground ;0)

Is it possible to have too many clematis? (I think not)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Valal--check out "Brushwood Nursery" The are growers of "Estonian Clematis"--
many of which are hardy to z-4. Some of these can also be grown in containers and part shade.
I have one called "Piilu" (little duckling). Have had it for--maybe--6 years. it blooms profusely each year in it's pot up against the big patio pole of my Patio roof.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Natick, MA

Hi Gitagal,

SO funny you should mention piilu! I just ordered this from Bluestone. They are having a spring clearance sale and this one has been on the top of my list all winter, I've been looking at it.

I've not ordered from Brushwood, tho. I did get 3 clematis from Bluestone last fall and they are growing wonderfully. I think it'll be a while before mine look like YOUR gorgeous speciment tho! Wow, that is SO full of blooms!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have gotten shrubs from Bluestone- very small but very healthy, and inexpensive so worth it to me, they just need to be babied the first year. After a few years they are all the same anyway.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Edited to delete this post, It's basically the same thing I said earlier. Sorry.

This message was edited May 27, 2016 11:14 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.