Huge Leaves

East Bridgewater, MA

There were a couple of these right on the edge of Boston as I was searching for a Bald Eagle. No luck on the eagle but this giant leafed tree was quite impressive. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Gonna have to chastise you, neefster...

You didn't show a single picture of a whole leaf, and where it attached to the stem.

You did show some closeups of your hands by individual leaflets of a compound leafed plant.

You are looking at a fine multi-trunked specimen of Cladrastis kentukea. Next time by, get shots of the young branches where these leaves attach.

East Bridgewater, MA

These leaves were so big I didn't know exactly how to frame it. lol. I put my hand in for scale.

I've been hoping to found a yellowwood somewhere besides an arboretum.

How many English words have two ww's next to each other? 26 at least: http://www.morewords.com/contains/ww/

Arrowwood Viburnum...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey VV, are the Yellowwood trees as susceptible to storm damage as I've read various places online? I've read that the crotches are at bad angles and are often damaged in storms. I'm looking for a small to medium tree to add to our yard next year and this one is on my radar along with Nyssa sylvatica and Sassafrass albidum.

None of those three trees should be considered small to medium sized.

All are good trees, however.

I don't believe Yellowwood trees are more or less susceptible to storm damage than most any other tree. Would you say you've never seen storm damage on any tree in Massachusetts? Since you've seen so few Yellowwood, is the only reason other trees have storm damage is because there's no Yellowwoods around?

While their wood might be less flexible than some other trees, I don't think this matters. The national champion Yellowwood used to be at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. When that tree finally passed (maybe 10 years ago), the champion's crown passed to a Yellowwood in Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville.

We have lots of storms of all kinds, yet these trees lived well over a hundred years. Maybe that just isn't a risk you wish to take...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess what I meant those trees are more medium sized, something in the 30-50' range. Not like a Liriodendron. I have also read the Yellowwood don't bloom every year. I guess I'm just picking your brain on it. I'm still on the fence as to which of the 3 I'd like best. The nyssa was going to be a dead ringer until I found out that they were dioecious.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Are you limiting your choices to natives only? If not, I'd suggest you consider Stewartia pseudo camellia.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That is a beautiful tree but I think I'd prefer a native. I really like that exfoliating bark. It reminds me of the larger Crape Myrtles down south. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't think I'm going to help you narrow down your field. Maybe I'll just rant instead.

You've listed some attributes you find deficient in plants mentioned above. I would postulate that every plant you have already selected and planted on your property could list at least one (if not a host) of similar deficiencies.

In my opinion, the reason to plant a wide variety of species well-suited to your growing conditions (native being one of the measuring sticks) is because no one plant is perfect - and the community of plants makes any plant's shortcoming blend into the background, and/or shine with its strengths, each in its own turn. An array of species also supports an array of fauna - including the native bugs which nibble on the foliage. These bugs are here to feed other wildlife - birds especially - so planting those native species which host the bugs helps raise the next crop of migratory songbirds. Systemic non-selective pesticides destroy that opportunity.

If Blackgum is native to your area (I imagine it is), what difference does it make if it is dioecious? If Yellowwood doesn't bloom heavily every year, does that make its smooth gray bark and golden fall foliage any less exquisite? When it does bloom heavily (like this year, and in those images above), it is festooned with those tan leguminous seed pods - all through fall and winter. While you might find that offensive or objectionable, I see thousands of potential Yellowwood lives to share with like-minded gardeners - should I seize the opportunity to collect them by the handful and distribute.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That's a handsome cemetery specimen VV, I'm sold.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Good points VV. I guess I'm just trying to weigh which qualities are better or not in my view and for my tastes. This might be the last tree I plant in our yard ever so I need to make a good decision because most of my other choices I shot from the hip. You're right though, every plant has a flaw. Do you have any opinion about the Sassafras?

Sassafras albidum is an exceptional native tree for many reasons:

• host plant for one of the handsome butterfly's larva
• polymorphic leaf characters which fascinate youth of all ages
• rugged distinguished bark with age
• various ways to produce consumables from its parts
• bright fall foliage in colors from rich yellows through oranges and fiery reds
• sympodial branching
• colonizing species supreme, and
• the absolute $4.99 buffet feeding frenzy for fifty billion Japanese Beetles

Akk, I'm a great white Japanese Beetle hunter -- they're detestable pests.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You had me until you said JB feeding frenzy. That will be crossed off the list. So Yellowwood or Black Gum...hmmm...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yellowwood seems to be the much faster grower of the two, if that makes a difference. FWIW, there's a really nice Yellowwood specimen growing behind the City Tavern in Philly, which can't be more than an hour from you.

BTW, Sequoiadendron, what's it like to live in the coolest small town in America?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...it's pretty cool Pseudo!

Faster growing would be better. This tree would likely get planted next year in anticipation of a deck build 5 years down the road. We would like the tree to block our deck from the neighbor's view.

Taylorsville, KY

I have admired this tree for the past two years. There are several of them planted in Eastpointe Business Park and I drive by them every day. They are about 10 years old. I had a Blue Atlas Cedar die and I would like to plant a Yellowwood in that area. I will probably try and find a bigger one to plant but I was wondering about collecting the seeds as these trees I'm talking about are covered with seed pods.

Viburnum Valley--should I try and would you recommend I read something to educate me on how and what to do with them once harvested?

Taylorsville, KY

I have admired this tree for the past two years. There are several of them planted in Eastpointe Business Park and I drive by them every day. They are about 10 years old. I had a Blue Atlas Cedar die and I would like to plant a Yellowwood in that area. I will probably try and find a bigger one to plant but I was wondering about collecting the seeds as these trees I'm talking about are covered with seed pods.

Viburnum Valley--should I try and would you recommend I read something to educate me on how and what to do with them once harvested?

Taylorsville, KY

I think your finger stuck to the send button, KimmyCoCoPop.

Sure, go ahead and collect the seeds and see how you do. Worst possible outcome is every seed germinates and you can distribute the seedling trees to friends, family, etc.

There is an excellent USDA publication on Seeds of Woody Plants of North America - try googling it up. Additionally, there's likely a lot of web information on germinating seeds of specific plants.

Here is one link: http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/C%20genera%202.pdf

Pages 413 - 414 pertain to Cladrastis kentukea.

Kimmy, you sure know how to make an entrance, lol.

VV, THANKS for the link, it's absolutely great!

Taylorsville, KY

THANK YOU! I was trying to post pictures of the Yellowwood I was talking about and that's what I got instead =). I went over and looked at the seeds when I got to work this morning. I may let them dry on the tree a bit longer. That was the conclusion I came to over the weekend: try it and see what happens.....will read your link when I'm not at work....thanks very much. kim

Going to be out that way this evening for a public meeting about the Louisville Loop. Maybe I'll stroll by those Yellowwoods myself...

Taylorsville, KY

The are between Anthem BCBS and Rx Crossroads (I think that is the name of the building). After reading the article you linked to, it looks like now is the time to harvest them. I think I'll pick a few this week and try and do some each week. VV-I pass the last park in the Parklands on Bardstown Road on my way to and from work and can't wait for it to open. I drive through Beckley Station on my lunch hours sometimes. I hope to be able to bike it once the southern sections open. I've noticed the sycamores planted along the road that does the big circle around by the buildings at Beckley Station are planted very close together. Seems like they are too close?

I have generally begun harvest of Cladrastis kentukea seed in September, but as soon as they look brown and dry - that should be fine.

Parklands is supposed to be done with phase III sometime next year, I think.

You have a good eye. I think those Platanus occidentalis are planted too close to pavement. Their distance apart from each other just means that their crowns will entwine, which doesn't discourage their growth. They just won't be free-standing specimens.

Constrained by pavement, however, is another matter. They could've designed the paved concrete walk and the paved roadway any distance apart they wanted, and they built it with quite a small space between - in which they planted all those sycamores. I would have done differently, but it's not my park/project.

Now, I just hope lightning doesn't strike me down for offering a critical eye...

I stopped out at Eastpointe Business Park this morning without benefit of the information KimmyCoCoPop provided - but I found some Yellowwood trees anyway.

These were planted at the edge of the parking lot, off to the right of this building - Baptist Health Corporate Headquarters. These are ready to harvest.

I opened one pod. It had three total seeds, one of which is a blank.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Taylorsville, KY

Great....you found them! I will start to harvest them and see how I do. I also see what you are saying about the Platanus occidentals and the small strip they are planted in--seems a shame since there is plenty of room there. I can see where there have been trees planted in the southern park off Bardstown Road and they look REALLY close together too. Thanks for the article, pics and information. I hope the seeds I harvest do as well as the acorns and walnuts the squirrels plant in my gardens do...!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.