Waiting with anticipation

Salem, MA

I think I've got a seedling lily in one of my beds. I've been living here for about 7 years, and I'm certain that I didn't plant it.

I've been watching it for a couple years now, and this is the first year I've noticed flower buds. I think the first flower is going to pop open any day now.

How common is it to get "volunteer" lilies from seed?

Also, what are the little black beads along the stem? I wouldn't think they were seeds, since they happen before the flowers, and even if there are no flowers.

Looking forward to your replies!

P.S. Sorry for the awkward photo, it was the best I could do to show all the parts of the plant. Overall height is about 2' max.

Thumbnail by zenmom

This little lily is probably a baby from a lily that grows close to it. Those little dark things at the stem are bulbils that drop to the ground and grow to form another lily the same as the parent. It is possible to have a lily grow from seed, but this happens a lot easier from a bulbil.

Salem, MA

Thanks for your reply! This turned out to be a lovely little tiger lily. It's one of nature's mysterious gifts, as I don't have any similar lilies in my yard.

And now I know what all those little round black things are. What an interesting way to reproduce. I'll have to check my other lilies to see if they have them too.

Regards,
Marcia

Thumbnail by zenmom
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Congrats Marcia, I'm always on the lookout for gifts that volunteer themselves in my yard. Yours is a good one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.