Viburnum opulus 'nanum'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I just bought one at the Arboretum in Seattle, for $4 in a 5" pot. The tag says it gets 2-3 ft by 3 ft. That sounds nice. Is it likely to actually stay so small? I have just the spot for a 3x3 shrub.
I have a V. dentatum 'Blue Muffin' and a V dentatum 'Chicago Lustre'. Would these be likely pollinators? The photos I found with a Google search do show pretty white flowers and red berries. There are no photos of this in the DG listing!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't think your Arrowwood Viburnum selections will be good suitors to your European Cranberrybush Viburnum selection.

You should look for another Viburnum opulus selection, or a similar species like V. trilobum, V. sargentii, or your native V. edule.

If that was the Washington Park Arboretum, please take and show images from there - especially the extensive Viburnum collection. Alas, I've only been able to see it in winter and miss many of the fine attributes of those species so alien to me.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, thank you VV - that's great information. I picked up 2 trilobum and a sargenti from Classic Viburnums, along with a dentatum 'Chicago Lustre'. I'll bet Gary was bearing pollination in mind.

I had seven viburnum trilobum campactums installed at my last property, and they were planted too deeply, so that six of them died. I managed to save the seventh, and put an opulus 'Spring Green' next to it. The fruit set on the opulus was completely outrageous, and your comment about pollinators makes it all come together for me.

I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge of this with all of us.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

VV- It was, but the Washington Park Arboretum is huge, and I don't think I ever went to the Viburnum collection. This time it was Chile and Australia, and of course the Greenhouse where they have thousands of odd things for sale. I think they have propagation classes, and sell the results for 4$ a pot. We must have poked around there for 2 hours. I think maybe September would be good to look at viburnums with berries? I got a new camera this year, and should go there to play with it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with their viburnum collection, no matter what time of year you go.

My images above are from December 28, 2008. Blooms, flowers, fruit, foliage, form...it's all there - as it should be.

We'll look forward to "proof" of you developing your skills.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.