Who gave me these 10 stawberry plants at the spring RU?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I can see your face AND the truck you drove, but I can't pull a name out of this 74 year old memory bank. ;))

Could you please tell me what type of strawberries these are? I'm ground zero on strawberries--never tried to grow them, so any info would be appreciated. I understand there are Day-Neutral, Everbearer and Junebearer.

These little buggers look pretty healthy to me, except just now when I took the picture, I notice there's some browning around the leaves on two of them. What's that about? And the cure? I've tried to let them dry out a bit before watering. Is that good?

From what I read, these plants don't die out, but bear year after year, putting out new runners. Please explain.

Ok, strawberry person--I'm counting on you!

P S
One more thing--I'm planning to put these in my regular garden plot as soon as I get the squash vines pulled out and do a little weeding there. It seems all of a sudden the squash bugs just took over, after I was able to control them all summer by dusting with Sevin every couple of weeks and squishing the few of them I would see. I notice some of the vines I've checked have the eggs under the leaves as well as something that looks sort of like the white flies I had on my hibiscus one time. I'll rake all the old plants up and discard, but will any remaining bugs in the dirt bother the strawberries?

Thumbnail by sybram
Fort Worth, TX

I did. The heat is causing the browning. The ones I planted in my garden and am trying to compensate for heat by overwatering aren't doing well so I am about to rig a white piece of that plastic lattice over them a couple of feet up, and if they still seem to be suffering from heat tomorrow I will put a sheet on top.

The ones I have in partial shade are doing better. I have them in a north side front flowerbed and they are spreading like wildfire and still tossing off a few berries, it doesn't get the intense 12 hours of hot sun. I planted them in March 2013

Bug wise not much eats strawberries! I know you are glad to hear that

This message was edited Aug 2, 2015 11:01 AM

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Gypsie, but what kind of strawberries are those you gave me? You said they had just come in.

Fort Worth, TX

I believe I do not know. Ozark are a good option, Eversweet is another good option. Could be Festival. And there was a 4th and 5th variety whose names escape me.

So for the moment, can I just say I gave you strawberries? What came in were the warranty plants, and I had a LOT of the Festival, and some of each of 4 other varieties.

Burgess had them labeled, the falling down was all mine.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Hahahaha. I hear you, girl. Not knowing anything about strawberries, I didn't know when I should plant them.

Fort Worth, TX

I would up pot them to larger pots and keep on a porch well watered but with good drainage until the heat breaks. That is where all my RU plants are, my north porch is shady, I rigged a shelf so the water drips through everyone gets some morning sun and some very late afternoon sun but not much of it. I won't put in ground until weather breaks it cools and a little rain.

well established strawberries live for years

This message was edited Aug 5, 2015 7:26 AM

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Gypsi.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.