Groundhogs

Elgin, IL

All the pests here seem to be of the buggy sort, but I couldn't find anywhere else for this so *oops!* sorry if I'm in the wrong spot. Groundhogs are pests, just really big ones and they're ravaging my perennials! In addition to eating all my stuff, they keep stealing my mulch. I checked online and everything says that they (groundhogs aka woodchucks) don't actually have anything to do with wood. Mine apparently don't have an internet hookup; there's 5 adults and that's a lot of mulch. The coyotes here had a population crash a few years ago so the chuck numbers are on the rise. They're ripping my new mulch bags open as I type this lol! All I can find to deal with them is trapping or harassing their burrow entrances by caving them in. If you dig them up enough they're supposed to leave. Sounds like too much work to me. I have 3 cats, and just delivered my first load of nuggets into the chucks' front doors. Tomorrow I'll hit their back doors. I have an endless supply of ammo. BUT... does anyone have a tried&true method in case this doesn't work?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

A fence with some of it buried in a serious sized trench? How loose is the soil? How deep can they dig?

Elgin, IL

They live underground, and often undermine slab foundations, so digging under a fence would be a breeze for them. Besides, I don't want to fence off my garden to the point where I can't enjoy it (it's kind of a spread out, shady, have a sit down garden, and it's not really an option here anyway) The cat litter buried in their burrow entrances seems to be working. They've abandoning the old ones and digging new ones, but I just keep making my deliveries lol. They'll give up eventually and find a new territory.

San Francisco, CA

Castor bean extract?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.