Matelea cyclophylla

Decatur, GA

One of my few new acquisitions in a few years. I got it while in AZ at Aridlands Nursery.
It took its time but finally put out a few leaves and I just noticed a little flower. I don't think its open yet. I am impressed it flowered at all without much encouragement from me except for some MG.

PS. Don't know why some of my picture postings are turned on their sides. grrr... will work on it...

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very nice plant, Helen! I'm so glad you got to Aridlands! Quite a place, isn't it? I am SO tempted to buy too much when I go there! You flew to AZ, right? Was it difficult getting you plant purchases home?

Decatur, GA

I drove to AZ so not problem bring home plants. But I have been careful with getting more plants. Here are pictures of two more I couldn't resist though. The Monadenium had fabulous flowers but mine hasn't put any out yet. I just liked the pattern on the Euphorbia. If it has flowers I would guess they'd be insignificant.

(I still don't know why some pictures tip themselves 45degrees)

I don't remember where I got the red blooming Euphorbia milli but it has been a consistent one.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That Matalea makes a weird looking flower. Nice plant, looks content. I have a mystery Euphorbia not too different from yours which is supposed to grow into a big shrub or tree, but so far it's like an inch a year, so I'm not holding my breath. These plants often grow on a time scale quite different from our own.

Decatur, GA

I have a bunch of weird little old Euphorbias. They are fun. They can be very consistent bloomers too though the flowers are rarely showy.
Baja, which Euphorbia of mine were you referring too? The columnar shaped one or the E. milli?

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

The columnar one. Wow, my plant is looking pretty beat up. But just starting to grow again.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Decatur, GA

I checked today and sure enough the flower has opened up. It is black! Never seen a flower that color.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Be careful with Matelea cyclophylla in the winter it will dope it's leaves and you still need to give it some water. What Monadenium is that?

photo of Monadenium torrei

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Decatur, GA

M. magnificum

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Helen: What an interesting flower color! It actually almost looks like a Stapeliad flower!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.