Phlox 2015

(Zone 4b)

"Blue Paradise" and "Peppermint Twist".

(Show me yours).

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. Not sure if I had to pick - which of these two I would like the best..... Both beautiful

(Zone 4b)

Thanks 'brenda'.

I am hoping others will post pictures of their phlox.

(This year isn't as good for my PTwist as the deer did a graze on part of it a few weeks ago)

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Since you are hoping for other posts - this is the best I can do for now. This is the tall wild phlox in the background of the yellow native coneflower. My David only has one bloom, so not worth the post. I have one other blooming, maybe I can get a picture of it.

Thumbnail by brendak654
(Zone 4b)

Wonderful combo 'brenda'.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Glad you liked my combo.

Geesh - What was I thinking. The temp gauge says 99 degrees and our heat index was to be 100-105 both today and tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me, if the heat index isn't more.....

rouge- I see that you are a couple zones to the north of mine, so it must be cooler there. I went out with my camera a few minutes go and I wanted to take a picture of my prettiest phlox, but it is a little stressed right now from the heat, but what the heck. Here is my best in the way of phlox, the #1 photo until the weather cools and it's not so drab looking. The other photo is some of the native. Last year I partially deadheaded the phlox that is in #1 photo and it lasted and lasted. I'll plan to do that again.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, this was a good time to ask for a post from me regarding phlox. My David is in full bloom. I love pure white at this time of the summer.

I like your combination as well, Brenda.

Thumbnail by rteets
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Almost forgot, Rouge21, your phlox are also lovely. Such perfect blooms!

(Zone 4b)

Your "David" looks vigorous and healthy. (I see your "Butterfly Weed" in the foreground?)

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

They are all beautiful. I am so jealous! The deer are particularly voracious this year and have nipped back all my phlox at least twice. I may not get any blooms this year. BooHoo!

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Just wondering rough21, has any of your Peppermint Twist reverted? I've had one for several years and tried to remove the reverted part. I ended up digging up the Twist section and moving it. The remaining has stayed mostly an intense pink that is pretty enough to keep. The Twist section has stayed Twist....so far. So I guess I got a 2 fer.

(Zone 4b)

ghopper, some stems hade reverted but still mostly the pinwheel.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda, you've really got an eye for combinations. You, Rouge21 and Rteets are very accomplished gardeners and it shows. Thanks for the steady stream of inspiration you deliver us wannabe's, you make it easy to dream in color.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

OH HOW KIND Mipii! Thank you - that comment inspires me to want to DO MORE.

Most of my phlox is in shady areas - Now I'm thinking about moving some of it to a sunny spot I'm transforming. Think that will work?

Woke to 41 degrees here this morn - no frost yet! WHO-HOO. My fall gardens are still pretty. It is always so sad when the frost gets them. I dug just over half of my tuberoses & glads yesterday, even dug some cocosmia (that one may be spelled wrong). I had long rows in my South Garden. Still more to dig, but I really don't mind. As long as the body holds out. It was really nice yesterday in upper 70's. Looks to be a really nice day here today, too. But no bulb digging today.

Keep gardening every chance you get - it is worth it in the long run. We get rewarded in time.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I went to photograph mine and all that's left is a couple of pitiful blooms that have been beaten down by the rain. Goodbye summer and hello fall!

Thumbnail by momlady
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, I am very honored to be in the same league as Brenda and Rouge21. What a lovely complement. I'll try to remember it next time I see something dead as a doornail in my garden....

Ahh you guys made me blush...just trying to give an honorable mention and credit where credit is due. You all are so humble, that's another winners trait. Keep up the great work!

(Zone 4b)

You guys/gals are too kind. I so much more often than not find that perennial gardeners are the nicest people.

I agree. And I also appreciate that such accomplished gardeners and those on this forum are willing to share their knowledge and pictures. Thanks everybody!

Momlady, I just checked out some of your garden pictures...you're an accomplished in that group too.

Yes Rteets, when you find a plant as dead as doornail...just look up and around. Look at the thousand successes, lol.

Rouge21, you might be right. I have found the nicest people on here, seriously nice people. It's so gratifying to share a passion with equally enthused and honest to goodness great people. Hey, I think I should lay off the happy pills.

Tomorrow, I'll do that.

Well thanks! That feels nice to hear!

My motto with those dead plants is...it's an opportunity to buy a plant that I've been jonesing for without having to dig up more ground to plant it.

By the way, that Phlox that I showed in the photo was billed as orange. Instead, it was the hottest, weirdest pink that I have ever seen in a flower and it fit neither in my bed with cool shades (no surprise there) nor in my bed with warm/hot shades. It didn't play well with anybody and ended up in an island with a tall grass behind it. Anybody else tried that "orange" Phlox?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone!

Phlox are a favorite of mine, love Blue Paradise in first post!

momlady, I grow Orange Perfection. It's not really orange, but more a bright coral. I have it in a bed with other coral shades, peach, salmon, and lavenders and purples for contrast. It does fight with fire colors (orange, red, gold) where it looks pinkish, but with cool colors it does look more orange. I like it, but the problem is it is the latest to start blooming, usually the end of July when it starts. It looks pinkish in this photo, which does happen toward the end of the bloom.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Momlady, that would be a very happy surprise for me, I love hot pinks.

If only I had some Phlox seeds to trade with you...

I also love yours Gemini. Yes it's nice and pink in your photo.

Gemini, I am glad you found a color scheme that would work with it. I can definitely see the logic in putting it with coral/peach/salmon. When I put it near my hot pinks and reds it looked oddly orangish, and when I put in near my orange/gold area, it looked oddly pinkish. I'd love to see a picture of your garden where you have sited it successfully, if you happen to have one, where the other flowers are blooming. It was a solution that escaped me.

Mipii, you would love this one. In no way does it look like, umm, what would I call it...a "hot mauve" (not too good with color names) because it has no blue undertones. It's a screamer.

I'm pretty sure yours and Gemini's odd color Plox would look fabulous with whites, blues and purples.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm looking through photos trying to find decent shots of the whole bed, but it seems by the time Orange Perfection starts blooming there's not a lot of other blooms. I did run across a couple of July pics when it had just started blooming- you can see a more accurate representation of the color in these. The rose in the background of the 2nd is Grimm Brothers Fairy Tale and it is a great match. The rose opens more orange and goes through coral and hot pink stages.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here are a few from June that show the color scheme better, including a phlox I picked up from a clearance wrack at Lowe's last year. I think the name was Cherry ....something..? It is between hot pink and red and blooms early.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage Thumbnail by gemini_sage Thumbnail by gemini_sage Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is one I picked up at Kroger (grocery store) this summer called Blue Flame. I had seen them one day and regretted not picking one up, and when I went back there was only one left. The one I ended up with didn't look as blue as the others, but I'm hoping that it will look bluer next year. I like it regardless, but always looking for those elusive blue shades.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

You did find things to go well with the Orange Perfection. In particular, the rose in the background is amazing!

The Blue Flame is definitely lovely. I didn't check to see if you participated in this thread, but here is one discussing blue flowers:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368069/?hl=

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you :-)

That rose came from Palatine as a grafted plant, but I believe Chamblees also offers it. It is disease resistant and a vigorous grower.

Thanks for sharing that link- now watching it and marked it as unread to go back and spend some time reading it.

I believe there is a "Flame" series of phlox. I recall seeing Coral Flame this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.