Star Magnolia Scale

Gurnee, IL

Hi everyone. I have a Star Magnolia next to my house (not planted by me), so it must be trimmed annually. This year I noticed Magnolia Scale. I’m spraying it about every other week, so I think I have it under control. Since it’s not that big (old, but not big), it only takes a few minutes to spray it. My problem is with the black mold. It’s all over the rocks below the tree and I was wondering how to clean it up. I was planning on trying Simple Geen just to loosen it up and then rinse it but since the rocks are about the size of walnuts, I can’t blast it too hard. My other thought was to put bleach in a spray bottle and try that. Does anyone out there have any tricks that you’ve had any luck with?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

It will wear off, but it takes time.
You might try some things that are gentler to the plants. A bit of dish soap could break it loose, Simple Green is a good idea, a strong blast from a hose. Yes, little rocks will not tolerate strong spray, but do what you can.

I would avoid chlorine (bleach or related cleaners), not good for plants.

Alternate idea: Rake through the rocks, turn them over. The black stuff is mostly on the top, and once it is in contact with the soil microorganisms will eat it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.