Red lilies?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

What is the truest red lily you know of?

TIA
LAS

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Red Alert, a longiflorum Asiatic. Unfading color, strong stem, good substance. Outstanding.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/388408/

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Wyoming, MN

I am unable to post pics but I currently have Red Velvet blooming above Red Alert. Mine are very similar in color. Red Velvet is in it's second year and fabulous this year.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There is also Hiawatha, which is quite nice, but I think Red Alert is superior.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks to you both. Could you tell me how Red Velvet and Hiawatha compare to Red Alert in height and bloom time?

LAS

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hiawatha in full bloom on June 20 a few years back. (Picture 1) Hiawatha is somewhat recurved (petals curled back). It blooms a few days before Red Alert.

Here are the two in bloom in the same picture at the same time, June 26.

Red Alert has slightly bigger flowers and is a little taller. It's petals have more substance - they are thicker, which helps it to stay beautiful in bloom til the petals drop - they do not tend to fade.

Red Alert is a bit more "spectacular" but Hiawatha is very graceful, and a bit more delicate in appearance..

That's why I grow both! I got them from B&D Lilies. Red Alert is offered now for October delivery. They describe them as each being between 3 and 4 feet. I beleive Hiawatha is offered in spring.

One note: Red Alert is a longiflorum asiatic and actually has a slight scent, which asiatics normally do not. Hiawatha is an asiatic hybrid, and unscented.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Wyoming, MN

Red Velvet is about 5' tall and has perhaps 15-20 smaller flowers per stem. They mostly face downward but at that height are easily enjoyed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.