Is this another Quercus phellos?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Last week I found a little Quercus phellos hiding out under my Magnolia 'Little Gem' (the little guy in photos 4 & 5).

Today, as I was clearing an area in which to plant a Cercis canadensis, I found what sort of looks like another Q. phellos (photos 1-3). I'm not sure, though, because the leaves are darker, shinier and have a more upward growth pattern.

I put them side by side to compare and still am not sure.

What do you think?

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It would be great if you were to lay one of those branches full of leaves down against a contrasting background, and show us what the buds look like. If you have a known willow nearby from which to swipe a branch, then another comparison could be made.

I think it is likely another Willow Oak, but with willow-like leaves...it could be a seedling Willow species. The buds should look entirely different from Oak species to Willow species.

One seedling can look different from another seedling for many reasons, especially oaks. Fertility of soils, moisture regime, exposure to light, vigor of seed, parentage (oaks are promiscuous between species), deer browse, and age (older larger root system on newest harvest has exploited more resources than younger less extensive root system on the first harvest) all will play into general appearance.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Are these photos okay?

The only willow I know of in the area is the Salix nigra I dug up from my yard and planted by the creek last week. I could get a branch tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1

Willow Oak.

In first image, see where cluster of leaves and new elongating stem emerged from a relatively common point? Trademark oak behavior, from a bud cluster at end of stem, alternately arranged but just very close together. Take a look at any oak and see if most dormant terminals look like that.

In second image (above willowy thumb photo bomb, far left) there is what looks like a dead stem. It has trademark oak bud at tip - not willow-like in the least.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the ID and for explaining about the buds, too. That was very informative!

You are welcome - and that's just the tip of the acorn when it comes to oaks and their proclivities.

If one is interested, one should not be without an excellent (free) Oak Resource or two:

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/compare-oaks.htm

If that doesn't jazz you enough, consider membership in the International Oak Society - it's full of nuts...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the links; they'll be useful in ID'ing the other NOID Oak seedlings in my yard!

I thought you would appreciate a photo of my neighbors' massive Willow Oak, likely the source of the acorns squirreled away in my yard.

I've always admired this tree and wished that the first owners of my house had planted one instead of a Silver Maple.

Edited to say they get demerit points for having planted it right next to the driveway.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2015 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

You can have an admirable specimen of your own, if you let one of your seedlings grow. They grow awfully fast. Just don't plant it right next to the driveway.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Roger that!

There's already an as-of-yet-unidentified oak seedling growing in one of the places where I could plant the Willow Oak. If that one turns out to be a keeper, I'll plant the Willow Oaks in the forest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.