wild chive

Knoxville, IL

New to gardening, went out to weed old flower bed and what I thought was a grass turns out to be a chive(I think). They are every where and they have bulbs. I have a heavy clay soil and when I try to pull them the leaves simply tear off. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get rid of them?

ps tried spray and it didnt seem to do anything to the chives.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Dig them up, just like one would do with any other plant. Digging is the first and obvious solution, not the last one.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi salehman, welcome to the world of gardening, first of all, Chives are part of the onion ? Garlic family, all of which have bulbs, all eventually flower and the globe shape flowers are much the same except different size and colour.
I'm afraid to say that as soon as you say I'm new to gardening, you should already have a spade in your hand LOL, they go hand in hand together, and altagardener is absolutely correct when she advices you that you have to dig the chives out of the borders, make sure you get ALL the large clumps -roots also, out or they will just form a new clump for nest year.

They are NOT deep rooted plants however, you may have to use your spade to chop the larger clups up to enable you to manage to get them out the ground.
My advice would be to start removing the plants NOW as, come winter they will disappear for winters sleep and return again starting spring.
For a new gardener, it will be a lot of heavy work BUT just do maybe a couple of hours a day till you find a rhythm while digging. there is nothing more off putting to a new gardener than over doing heavy work for the first few days, them getting sore and NOT returning to the job.
Like me, you may find a garden fork easier to work with as you can knock all the lumps free from the roots and soil as you go along.
Do remember the more bare soil you leave open to the elements, weeds will grow at the speed of lightning so either cover the new dug soil with Black plastic, old carpet, even newspaper that is weighted down by small piles of soil laid along the paper, this helps prevent any new weed seedlings getting light to germinate and IF left a while it can decay and become composted.

Hope all this helps get you started onto your new found hobby and you do make sure it's enjoyable, IF it becomes a chore, you know your overdoing it.
Good luck, have fun and always get back with any other info / advice you may require as there are many folks who who will be happy to help.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Shelby, NC

Eat them. Make sure they smell like onions!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.