Bamboo advice

San Antonio, TX

This message was edited Jul 10, 2015 10:44 AM

San Antonio, TX

My bamboo plant is tending to lean over a lot. And also new shoots are creeping around the container.

Is there anything I should or can do to help straighten the plant? (i'm thinking of tying to a stake possibly) or do I cut and trim? Do I leave these new shoots alone?

This is my first bamboo, so any advice would be great.
Thanks!!

(Having trouble uploading and posting. Sorry if it's doubled)

Thumbnail by Cindy24 Thumbnail by Cindy24
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

There are hundreds of different types of Bamboo's and most are very unsuitable for small places due to the way there roots spread by root runners under the soil.
I dont know the type you have but looking at it, I would try to knock it out of the pot, (with help if possible) and look to see IF the roots have taken up all the soil within the pot, IF they have, I would use my bread-knife or even a saw, cut away some roots, re-pot the plant, pack the new soil around the pot, keep tapping the sides of the pot as you fill with soil, this helps get rid of air pockets and helps get the soil way down the pot sides.
Make sure you absolutely soak the new potted plant, if possible sit it in a large container filled with water, the plant will be grateful for this.
Second choice if the plant is too big for the pot is to saw, or cut the roots into 2 pieces, re-pot the 2 parts and fill the large pots as before.

I would try avoid staking the plants as the beauty of these plants are that they make a lovely rustling sound when they are caught in the breeze and most people like this soind within the garden.
Hope this helps you a little and you can continue to enjoy your Bamboo plant / plants LOL.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

At some point they do indeed grow out of their container, so removing it and either dividing it. or doing some root pruning is about the best way to deal with it.
If you divide it, make sure there are some growing points with each division.
If you root prune, try to get rid of the old, unproductive roots. Usually these are on the inside of the soil mass, though, so difficult to get to.

To hold it closer to vertical without sacrificing the rustling sound in the breeze tie each stem separately to the fence. Take each one, one at a time, and try straightening it. Hold it as low as possible, but still directing it where you want it. When you figure out the lowest support spot that will work, tie a string there, and then lead that string to the fence. See where on the fence is the best place to tie it. A little to the left... a little to the right... higher... lower...
Repeat for about half of the stems and see how it looks.

Is there another plant growing above the bamboo that makes it lean for the sun?
Is there a consistent wind that keeps blowing it from one direction?
Either of these will make it grow at an angle.

San Antonio, TX

Forgot to say thank you for the helpful advice. Things came up and totally neglected my poor bamboo. I will work on it soon. I am posting new pics and welcome more help again.
Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.