Is blanching Cauliflower necessary?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Ive been thinking about trying cauliflower in my autumn garden this year, and i have been reading up on the technique of blanching, or tying the leaves up around the head, in order to keep it white. I am just curious if this is only done for cosmetic reasons, or if it prevents another problem along with it? And would it still need to be done with purple or orange varieties?

Also i have noticed a lot of garden reviews online about getting good sized plants, but never any heads, what are your opinions on the causes of that?

Just want to hear some of your experiences before giving this a shot myself.

Thanks!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cauliflower does not like heat. For spring planted cauliflower, quick maturing varieties are essential in the south as they must head before temps get inot the upper 90's or they will not head at all. Fall cauliflower is not as critical, but again if it does not head before hard freeze it again will not head. With hot Georgia sun, unless the head is tied up it will show purple and brown discoloring. Primarily for cosmetics, but I lke white cauliflower. Purples will normally do ok without tieing up. Have not grown orange.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Cauliflower that is sun burned and discolored is not appealing on the plate to me. As to the orange it will discolor. I don't tie my Cauli up I break over a couple outter leaves and call it good.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ah, so as long as the heads are covered up some way or another, with not necessarily needing to tie them up, i am assuming? Just so long as they dont get any direct sun contact?

This message was edited Jul 13, 2015 12:52 PM

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

You got it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.