Off Route #80 in northwest PA at a rest stop, nice woodland

Downingtown, PA

I took some shots of what was behind a rest stop in northwest Pennsylvania in mid-June 2015 along Route #80 on my way to driving to my Chicago area homeland. There were Common Mountain-Laurel, Kalmia latifolia, still in pinkish bloom, young Quaking Aspens along the edge of the woods, Hayscented Ferns, lots of Red Maples, some Yellow Birch, some American Beech, Red Oaks, White Oaks, Canadian Hemlock, and Common Witchhazel around.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Was that a semi-landscaped area or all natural?
It's a lovely area; very peaceful looking.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very, very lovely. What a nice find.

Downingtown, PA

The front and sides of the rest stop are in lawn with some plantings, as there are several wonderful Alleghany Serviceberry trees by the front. The back is all nature doing it. When there is mature, climax forest in PA, then there is more native plants, and nature is taking care of herself with less invasive plants. I did not see any invasive plants there. In open woods or fields there are more invasive Eurasian plants, especially east Asian plants as Amur Honeysuckle, Multiflora Rose, Autumnolive, Tree-of-Heaven, etc. causing problems and less beauty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.