Using Old Recycling Bins for/in Container Garden??

Brighton, MA(Zone 6b)

Since my budget is really tight this month, I've been looking around the yard and in my downstairs neighbor's yard (she has everything in her little patio area), I came across these curbside recycling bins from the city. Do you think it would be okay to use those for containers to plant vegetables in?? If I drilled in a few more holes and cleaned them up real nice like.

And my other question is: I have these totes from, well I'm just not going to name the place where I got them from. I don't want anyone to get in trouble. Lol!! I have these totes, they have tons of little holes on the bottom and they are spacious and roomy, low to the ground. Worth trying in a container garden or would those holes leak out all the dirt??? (I've included a picture of the tote.)

Thumbnail by cattiecann1
Thomaston, CT

Probably too many holes in that one, but the recycling containers should be OK....my stepson was a commercial fisherman......they use large plastic buckets for the fish.....anyway, I used those to start my dahlia tubers & they worked fine......

Brighton, MA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I had a bunch of those buckets but don't know where they went. I mean my apartment isn't all that big and there isn't too many places to put things so I don't know how I lost them. They might have "walked" out the door with someone, I don't know. Anyway, those bins were calling to me!! Thank you Robin for your help!!! What kind of dog is that in your profile pic?? I'm taking care of a rat terrier. And my ex has custody of our 3 dachshunds.

Thomaston, CT

That dog is Suey, a German Short-haired Pointer mix that I lost in Feb of 2014 to lymphoma....she was a rescue, but only 9 when she passed.....one of the best dogs I've ever had......now I have Nicki, a 13 month old standard poodle....she keeps me hopping!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Riverhead, NY

Some of the tote's holes can easily by closed up with a nice decorative pattern of duck tape or such. Looks like it would make a fine starter container for seeds, cutting and small transplants. I'm definitely one for using what you have.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Get a roll of landscape fabric or a couple of layers of old newspaper {not the shiny pages} and put a layer across the bottom. That will permit drainage and keep your soil in, and, in the case of the newspaper will eventually compost. Newsprint is cheap or free if you don't get a paper but your neighbor puts out their paper in the recycle.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'd definitely use every container possible. I've tried both of the above methods and they work. The more difficult problem is punching holes in pots that don't have them.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I've used an electric drill to make drainage holes in plastic containers. I also made a compost bin out of an old rubbermaid trash can and lid using the drill. Used the drill to put a hole in the rim of the lid to fasten it down with wire so it would blow away.
Works great!
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got this book out of the public library tonight:
http://www.amazon.com/Planted-Junk-Adam-Caplin/dp/184172159X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439427244&sr=8-1&keywords=planted+junk
Planted Junk-A New Approach to Container Gardening.
I just started flipping through it and it has pictures of baskets, teapots, bureau drawers among others turned into planters. I have used favorite coffee mugs that have broken handles, baskets, bowls and I just made a concrete birdbath into a succulent planter.
I am going to enjoy reading this book.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Sounds fun.....I love the succulent planters, so easy to keep going.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.