I need a cucumber beetle solution!

Dundee, MI(Zone 6a)

Howdy. My vining plants and zucchini squash erupted with a population of striped cucumber beetles a few weeks ago. I was going to let them coexist if they didn't do too much damage, but they went crazy! There were so many of them! I applied nematodes to the soil that are supposed to dine on the larvae of the beetles and put out sticky traps specifically made for the beetles. The traps are "not supposed to" attract other insects, but there are only a handful of cucumber beetles on them, about 10% of the dead bug population. I was at my wits end and have applied DE. I was trying to avoid this because I don't want to kill beneficial insects. It seems to have put a dent in the population, but I was hoping to find a solution that would affect the beneficial's in my garden less. Thanks!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, continue with what you are doing so far- traps and nematodes.

Beneficial insects may also feed on pollen, and are often small insects, so small, open flowers are usually the best to attract them.
Look into plants like fennel, dill and other Apiaceae, yarrow, daisies and many other plants. Avoid trumpet or tube-shaped flowers.
I think I would have a mixed plot of flowers, so there would be blooms opening as much as possible all the time. This way, no matter when the predatory bugs are looking for some supplements, something is available.

Put up bird houses. You will have to figure out which birds, and what kind of houses they like.

See if the cucumber beetles can be trapped by something other than the sticky traps- do they hide in the soil? See if they will hide in rolled up newspaper, then throw away the rolled up paper often.

Also, see if row covers are compatible with the crop- row covers prevent the pests from getting to the crop, but also prevent pollinating insects from getting in.

Some pests are deterred by reflective mulch. This would go on early in the season, small plants, lots of bare soil around each plant. Won't work after the plants pretty much cover the beds (hiding the mulch).

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/VEGES/PESTS/cucumberbeet.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.