Can ants hurt my squash?

Dundee, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi all. I have recently seen ants crawling on the flowers of my candy roaster squash plants. It doesn't appear that they are damaging them, but I cannot tell because I have a cucumber beetle problem. I had already been battling the beetles before the ants showed up. Thanks!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ants don't do any damage to plants, themselves, but they do farm honeydew producing bugs like scale, aphids, and mealybugs. Watch for those.

Dundee, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks, OCCAROL. I will keep an eye on the little farmers :)

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm curious. I found ants on one of my lemon trees yesterday. Then my husband asks me later that night, "what's that bug?" I told him I thought it was an aphid. How do I get rid of the aphids? Or do I get rid of the ants first? I'm scared! lol

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You can just blast the aphids off with the hose. The ants are a whole nother problem! I use Terro liquid ant bait around my trees. It helps some.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

If you think blasting aphids off will get rid of them, it won't. Ants feed and farm aphids, getting rid of the aphids removes the ant issue. Neem oil can get rid of aphids, tanglefoot stops the ants from climbing the plants. Spray early of a morning or the water in the spray can burn the plant. By the way, aphids are resistant to most poisons...

Edited to add thanx 1L, water can also, but neem oil used, then washed off, is how some of us use it....

This message was edited Jul 21, 2015 6:21 PM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The oil, in the spray, will burn the plants...if applied during the heat of the day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.