Stubborn weed help ideas

Lafayette, LA(Zone 8b)

I've pulled, making sure I get all the root... Most of the time. Even watered to make sure they are easy and come all the way out. Then more come with a vengeance!!!! They are everywhere.

Thumbnail by Bubbblesxtwo
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Those look like something up here that's a 'weed' and gets a pretty yellow flower. Have you ever left it in long enough to flower?

Casa Grande, AZ

You may hate me but I think they're kind of pretty in a Xeriscaping, fern like kind of way. Since you can't beat them have you thought about joining them?

Maybe digging some kind of "trench" around them and filling it with pretty rock or landscape brick to "box" them in and make it look like you put them there in a bed deliberately?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

They are awful. No yellow flower (well maybe but it would be too small to see as it hides under each leaflet). The seed is under each leaf and you will get hundreds more each year you let it go. Cute to begin with but then they become a menace.

This is Phyllanthus urinaria - (chamber bitter)

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantbiology/ncsc/deployed/sliks/Phyllanthus_urinaria.htm

http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/chamberbitter-mimosa-weed/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/71283/

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I think they look pretty too but if it is really that invasive, I'd probably reach for the Round Up.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2015 2:29 PM

Lafayette, LA(Zone 8b)

Hcmcdole is correct!!!! Those little bastards are taking over. I spent over 3 hrs pulling few weeks ago now this crap. I want to pull my hair out and burn them all😡. I will try the Weed B gone method and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

As an adjunct to either spraying or pulling them out, you might want to investigate using a pre-emergent weed control as well.
IF they spread by seed (and they may not...as I'm not familiar with that particular pest) a pre-emergent "might" help control them. A pre-emergent kills the new seedlings as they sprout.

Decatur, GA

I have this little weed in my veggie garden. I first noticed it last year.
I just pull pull pull. I think my neglect last year resulted in lots of seeds that are sprouting now. Oh well. Life in an almost organic, as chemical free as is reasonably possible garden! :-)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Not sure about the pre-emergent killing seedlings as much as preventing germination. Still a very good idea to prevent any weeds from germinating and thus adding even more seeds to the local area for several years. The key is to apply it before germination begins. The downside is it prevents all seeds from germinating so if you like certain annual flowers that reseed themselves, then it is a toss-up. The other thing is it needs to be applied every year since it has a short effectiveness time span.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preemergent_herbicide

Pulling the weeds up or spraying before it goes to seed are the other ways to reduce any future weeds (I employ both methods). Disturbing the bare soil often brings up seeds that have laid dormant for years and also makes a good fresh spot for newly deposited seeds so hoeing is not a best practice for weed control.

Whitesville, KY

It reminds me of "mimosa" tree saplings.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Those are alive and well here in the NC PIEDMONT. Never knew the name. Pull right up - no issue but don't think the root is key to getting rid of them. It's a seed thing.

Preen is what I use but I don't rely on reseeding from annuals. Not entirely free of them but controlled. ALWAYS pulling these out of blue star creeper between flagstones. And, even in dense ajuga they spring up.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

originally I thought mimosa too ( which scared me ) those invasive. I guess I will take these ! 😊

This message was edited Jul 30, 2015 12:44 AM

Ibadan, Nigeria

You could try the home made recipe of weed control,
You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil andpour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

Or you could give a weed eater machine a try, you could find nice review of different ones right one this weed eater review blog www.weedeaterguides.com/.
It full of reviews and important tips when it come to picking the right machine.

Mississauga, Canada

I've used my own variation of tweedeaters homemade weed control recipe with great success. It definitely works. If anyone is in and around Mississauga and surrounding areas do not hesitate to contact http://www.lawnmasterspeel.com/ for all your lawn maintenance needs.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2015 1:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.