Please help me identifying this vining plant. Honeydew?

Columbia, MS

I think the tags may have gotten mixed up on this plant. I thought this was a cucumber when I planted it, but now I don't know what it is. It has yellow flowers, and the fruits look like fuzzy balls. It has tendrils, and it is climbing up a trellis. Here are the pictures that I have. The picture of the vegetable square has a yellow squash plant in the front. The vine in question is going up the trellis in the back of that square. Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by bethpierce77 Thumbnail by bethpierce77 Thumbnail by bethpierce77
Columbia, MS

Here are two more photos:

Thumbnail by bethpierce77 Thumbnail by bethpierce77
Dundee, MI(Zone 6a)

It looks like a melon, I can't tell which kind (lack of experience :) ). It's definitely not watermelon, the leaves are different. I am going to bet honeydew, like you said, or cantaloupe. I have 'Hearts of Gold' melon variety, which I think is a type of cantaloupe. It is supposed to have the rough skin when mature. Mine doesn't have fruit on it yet to compare, just little yellow flowers. It'll be interesting to see what the other gardeners out there think.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Not sure what it is, cukes can be round. What made you think it was a cuke when the plant tag shows a yellow squash? Still might be a squash.

Columbia, MS

Thanks. I just don't know what it is!!!

Columbia, MS

1lisac, where do you see a plant tag showing a yellow squash? There is s yellow squash in that same sqare bed.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Nevermind, I misread your first post. Lol I really want to know what it is too!

Denton, TX

Do you know what a "tatume" squash is, becaise many people do not. It looks a lot like them, but also looks like some variety of cantaloupe because they are fuzzy when about the size of that small one in your pic. Wish i could say for sure but cannot. keep us updated if you find out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.