One and a half thumbs up for this 'buttercup'

(Zone 4b)

Last August 2014 I mistakenly purchased and planted Ranunculus acris "Flore Pleno" (Multiplex) (when I had intended to get Ranunculus aconitifolius "Flore Pleno").

However this planting has actually turned out to be a worthwhile addition to our garden. It bloomed for close to 4 weeks (form late May to late June) and although it does send out runners that do root (rhizomes?) they are easily removed and I see no evidence of seeding.

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Creeping buttercup is one of my worst weeds here (Ranunculis repens). This one is pretty, but looks too similar, so I won't plant it. I have found that weeds which mimic a garden plant have an advantage. I sometimes avoid planting a nice plant (like this) because I won't be able to distinguish it from a weed.

(Zone 4b)

The two of them are in a small plot next to the the lawn with a stone edging. I do keep an eye on it running into the the non grass side, further into the garden of which they are a part. But now that it is finished blooming I have cut each of them back some and it is easy to see when either sends out rhizomes.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2015 1:49 PM

Natick, MA

You have some of the neatest plants! :) This is really a bright spot in the garden!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Pistil, I often think, as I'm pulling a weed that looks somewhat similar to and is growing within a desirable plant's spread, that I'm hearing the weed whistling and trying to look natural to fool me into thinking it's no different from the desirable plant.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Then they are laughing amongst themselves when we walk on past...

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes indeed.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is adorable! Keep us posted on how it does. I once planted Ranunculus repens 'Buttered Popcorn' which was beautiful but one plant was 6 feet wide in one season so it scares me too.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttercups are cute when they're small but in a year or two it will try to take over the garden. I have a ranunculus hispidus. I planted it spring of '14 and it didn't bloom but grew nicely. This spring it came up and bloomed, it was very pretty. Shortly after bloom though, I realized I was seeing parts of it 6' away from the parent plant. Luckily, it spreads over the soil and not under. I was able to pull all of its 'arms' out of the garden and it was quite interesting to see how far it had gone. The plant will be edited later this season and given away.

(Zone 4b)

Luckily, it spreads over the soil and not under. I was able to pull all of its 'arms' out of the garden

When it stopped blooming a couple of weeks back I trimmed it back significantly; this and the lack of water has kept it in check. We will evaluate it again next season.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah probably a good idea. Mine is in a very 'full' garden and towards the back so it's not as easy to monitor. Occasionally I'll venture into my neighbor's yard to check it out. The blooms on the R. hispidus aren't nearly as cool as the blooms on yours though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.