Dwarf Philodendron

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hopefully I am posting in the correct forum....

I live in east Central FL and have had this dwarf philodendron in the ground for approximately 8 years. We are making some landscape changes and would like to try to transplant the philodendron. Is this recommended? If so, any words of advice?

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Philodendrons are tough cookies. That doesn't mean that you should go out of your way to test their mettle. I would wait for a rainy day, dig the new hole and fill it with water. Dig out the philo, taking as big a root ball as you can and drop it into the new hole when the water is finished draining away. Water every day for a couple weeks and your plant will do just fine. Of course, it might sulk and lose a few leaves, but it will recover quickly.

Sylvain.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sylvain!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I may be too late but...July and August are pretty warm months for transplanting any large established plants, but if we're getting lots of rain they'll usually bounce back. I'd cut back quite a bit of the bottom leaves so the plant can put its energy into the root system repair. Also water the heck out of it on these really hot days we're having, until you see new growth coming back out. Good luck.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Not too late, sun kissed! We haven't moved it yet!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.