Sumac Verticillium wilt?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I believe this is Verticillium wilt on Rhus typhina (Sumac). Looking for confirmation.

I posted in the pest and disease forum but with no response.

Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Your images show a distressed Sumac indeed.

Cut one of those dying/dead stems, and look for indicative discoloration in the xylem/phloem layers.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Why would this happen?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

There is discoloration of the xylem/phloem layers in that they turned to powder, which is the light brown powder coming out of the cracks in the stem.

I had only heard/read about this and knew it could be found on the coast, more than inland. As this is my first time seeing this, I have been looking for opinions if I got the ID right. The owner of this tree, first said it wilted in the dry weather so I was expecting drought on the Sumac. What I saw, and told was only in 2 weeks, shocked me.

birder17 - take a read of this: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=255

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the reference.
I have had this in a Clematis plant, and I get it occasionally with snapdragons.
With the Clematis, I cut off the vine that was infected and left the rest of it. It recovered.
With the snapdragon, I pull them out and toss them in the trash.
I did not realize this was a problem in trees also.

I always thought it was a problem with too much moisture. I didn't really read the "cause". It describes what happens and the cause they say is a "fungus". I was wondering why the fungus appears. Now, I'm thinking it's a "moisture" problem: too much water or too little water.
Is this true?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
There is discoloration of the xylem/phloem layers in that they turned to powder, which is the light brown powder coming out of the cracks in the stem.....The owner of this tree, first said it wilted in the dry weather so I was expecting drought on the Sumac. What I saw, and told was only in 2 weeks, shocked me.

That description in no way fits the behavior of Verticillium Wilt - in my experience nor in the linked description from the Royal Horticultural Society.

If you could provide larger images of the stressed plant - including cut sections as illustrated in the linked document you provided - then further evaluation could be undertaken.

Powdered xylem/phloem layers is indication of borer activities - which could create that effect in that short time period.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.