Need help with sick phals

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have 2 mini phals that have contract some kind of disease. Leaves began getting a brownish rust on them and eventually yellowing. Roots still look plump and green.
I have misted them occasionally with Physan 20 seemed to help at first but looking worse now.

Anyone know what this is and if they can be saved.

Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

You have some sort of bugs, that's for sure.

Physan 20 is advertised as controlling fungi, algae, bacteria and viruses. It is usually used as a disinfectant on surfaces, ie. your work table, cutters, etc. I also spray it on the soil surfaces of my seed trays and cuttings before I put them into the rooting medium. I have never sprayed it on a plant so don't know how that would work. Viruses and bacteria are spread by exchanges of bodily fluids between plants. That means, if your work surfaces are dirty and you have a virus in your collection, you will spread it to other plants.

As the Physan 20 hasn't help, this may be an insect infestation. Get some Bayer 3 in 1 insect, disease and mite control. That fixes most insect problems. Hope you have quarantined these plants from the rest.

Daisy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

If it rots fast, it's a bacteria.
I would repot it, if there are any healthy roots.
Cut all the infected leave parts, dust the cuts with cinnamon.

It might be the pictures, but you have to be careful to not overwater orchids. Phalls like it more moist than most other orchids, but they still don't like wet feet.

Heleen

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This appears to be mite damage. What is the growing medium? Physan has several applications but is not insecticidal. Yes Bayer 3 in 1 is effective. Unfortunately your orchid is far gone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.