Happy 4th Of July

Ripley, MS

Happy Birthday America !

I love America and can think of no other country I would rather be in !

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

While June was daylily month, I still have a few.it seems the season was shorter this year, but I guess it was because I didn't get to spend much time outside with them.
Deborah Kay
Mariska
Kings Favor
A coreopsis called Center Stage

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Me too Sandra!! Happy Fourth everyone! I'm taking Richard to our fireworks display Sat night. He is obsessed with fireworks! Doesn't want to miss a single one! I have found a good place we can watch them without getting in a lot of traffic afterward.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra all that physical therapy will probably really pay off for Jerry. The guy I mentioned that had bilateral knee surgery recently and did several months of physical therapy before hand looks great. He looks so much happier and healthier than he did before. You can just tell he feels better. Hope the same thing happens with Jerry!!!

Ripley, MS

Cindy, Jack is a wonderful name for the kitten. Cayla has been having all those allergy tests and the allergist told her that living with a cat was just like taking a shot for a cat allergy, so she should make it fine ! So glad your brother is doing better, he was in a really bad shape for a while. Something about him reminded me of the movie Big Hero was why I said Hero ! I can't put my finger on what, but it has been a while since I watched the movie with the kids, it is a great movie.

Charlotte, I hope it helps, he has pretty much been in pain the whole time, not always bad pain but some. His hand is not getting a lot better. He has good movement in the fingers, but it just doesn't work exactly right. Hard to explain, he says it is positioned differently from the way it was. The scars are looking better. Every morning it is stiff and sore and he has to work with it to get it moving.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Sandra, that is exactly what happened with my friend Lynda who had a shoulder problem. She was going through cancer treatment and knew she had a shoulder issue and it was frozen but she had to wait until she was finished with her cancer treatments and then go through the rehab with the shoulder until she could have the rotator cuff surgery. She's fine now, thank God, on all counts. Jerry will be too. I hope he continues to improve. Does he massage it to get it working better? When I had my knee surgeries they always told me to massage the scars to keep them from forming more scar tissue underneath and it really helped. I used old fashioned cocoa butter to massage my skin all the time. Used my thumbs and pushed really hard.

Your daylilies are still really pretty. I still have several that are blooming and I haven't fertilized or anything. I need to go cut the dead stalks off but it has been raining here most of the week.

Yes, Jeri, I'm about ready for the rain to stop. We really needed some as we had over 2 weeks without rain at the beginning of June. Really got quite hot and dry and I was running the sprinkler system twice a week, but now we've had enough. Not like you folks though. I'll be happy to reserve some of this for August.

Ripley, MS

Yes, he massages it every day and he also has a glove and an insert to put inside to sleep in every night. I am beginning to think they should have done some plastic surgery, the skin is pulled so tight that it almost seems to pull his hand to the side.
My sister had frozen shoulder and had to have therapy, she cried every time she went it hurt her so bad. That was the first time I had ever really looked at frozen shoulder, but when she had it I read several articles about it and saw that one of the reasons is having open heart surgery.

We need rain here, I am going to have to water the tomatoes if we don't get some soon

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I've heard the term frozen shoulder but that's about it. Sandra I know Jerry is getting tired of all the problems he's having but hopefully that will get that shoulder fixed!

I got a text from Kathy Ann late this afternoon and she is in the hospital. She did a talk about African Violets at her MG meeting today and said she felt fine and didn't feel stressed doing it. Then right after she finished she said she felt like she was having a heart attack and went to the hospital. They said she was not having a heart attack but they are not sure what is wrong. She was waiting for her doctor and said she might have to stay overnight. Will let you all hear what I find out.

Been a busy day today! I need more furniture for my booths. I've actually gone through all my backstock in the garage. So I decided I would take him with me and do some shopping today. I pushed him through 2 malls and he sat in the car while I went in a few more places. I did find some things. It seemed to help get him in a better mood too. He loves to ride but not too keen on setting in the car while I check things out. You just have to treat him like a 2 year old He really didn't want to get out at the ones I pushed him around in but managed to get him out of the car and he enjoyed it once I got him inside.

Cindy it really seems like your SIL is hard to handle. I can understand your brother's need to get away from time to time. I have to do the same thing myself. My antique booths are my way to get away and be able to talk to people.

I may take him out again tomorrow. There is a place I've found that is only open on Fri and Sat. She posted the other day that she will be open this Fri and Sat. I still need some things so I'll just really wear Richard out!! He really likes to go!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful blooms Sandra . I still have a few blooming.
My limelight hydrangea is beginning to bloom
All american chief
Imperial Rome
My seedling

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hollywood lights
No name
Scatterbrain

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

Saw on FB that Kathy Ann did stay for the night. Said they ruled out her heart with a heart cath and we're going to do a gall bladder test.

Love, love Hollywood lights ! Cindy thanks again for fixing me up with it !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I love the Hollywood lights also. Really like the caladiums too. I have to have caladiums every summer!

It's raining here today. It started sometime during the night and looks like it's set in for the day. The weather forecast says we are to have severe thunderstorms at times today. Supposed to rain everyday through the weekend.

It's raining too hard to go furniture shopping today but if it clears up some tomorrow I may take him out shopping.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Got a text from Kathy Ann. She is going home. They also ruled out gall bladder. The doctor is going to do more test next week at his office. He wants to get to the bottom of her pain.

Ripley, MS

Thanks for the update on Kathy Ann, raining here too

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just read an article in the paper by Janet Carson our state MG person. She said what we have been calling mealy bugs are woolly aphids. She said to spray with insecticidal soap. I have them everywhere! It will take a lot of spraying!

It rained all day yesterday - hard! It's not raining now (overcast) but more rain in the forecast for today. I'm taking Richard to see the fireworks tonight weather permitting. Hope everyone has a safe and fun fourth!!

That is what I used on mine a few weeks back (insecticidal soap) and I haven't seen any since. I didn't have a bad infestation though. Just started on a few clumps of echinacea and I caught it.

It rained almost all day yesterday and all morning here. Stopped for a while this afternoon and has been pleasant while we had our bbq but it's supposed to rain some again tonight. We may not even try to go see fireworks.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Happy 4th to all you my gardening buds!!! We have eaten so much today and still have a ton left over. I hope everyone has had a safe holiday!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I've been on a furniture painting binge the last two days! Got a lot accomplished even with Richard wanting to know every little while when we were going to the fireworks. I cleaned up and dressed late this afternoon and decided I wanted Corky's ribs for dinner. It's a place we go all the time. But tonight Richard decided he hates that place - has never had that reaction before! He wanted to go to his latest favorite place. He has wanted to go there every night! I told him it was closed today because of the 4th! So I had my ribs!! (I refuse to go there every night). Then took him to the fireworks. When we got there he said well if I knew it was going to be like this I wouldn't come!! Same as it's always been. He was ok once it started. But I was glad to get him in bed tonight!! You just never know what's going in with him. - the land of demetiaville is a different everyday!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry I have been out of pocket lately but we have been gone or had a house full of company besides the houseful that is normally here!!! We had a wonderful 4th with way too much to eat even with the masses and still have a refrigerator full. I even found a bag of green peanuts and boiled a pot of them yesterday.

Charlotte I know it's a challenge handling all the different moods that Richard has now. You have a special place in heaven for all you do for him and the others in your life with that dreadful illness.

Tomorrow marks a year that we loss Cameron. Terrie considered not even coming yesterday b/c she said that she brings everyone down by just being there. I remember that feeling after Joann died. I told her we were all family and we missed him too!!

My Aunt Tharon got out of rehab yesterday and got to be home. They have put her into Palliative care and she will also have therapist coming to the house. I've never heard of this but Twynette said it was just before hospice. Terrie said it is hospice. We're going through there on the 16th and I hope to visit with them then and maybe I'll have a better understanding of it all.

Well I'm heading outside to see how things are going after all the rain we had yesterday. Hope everyone has a blessed day!!!

Ripley, MS

Jeri, our thoughts are with you and Trish on the anniversary. Some people say it is easier after a full year, and I truly hope it will start to get a little easier for both of your families.
It was a good time here this weekend, but wore me out. I am just plain old exhausted today. Everyone seemed to have a good time. I don't think I have mentioned it here but my step daughter Heather has had a problem with her hand. The doctor she went to last week said it could either be Burgers Disease or vasculitis-they have her scheduled for some kind of test on the 13th. She has 3 fingers that have turned black on the end, one of them is horrible. I think Cayla talked her into going to Nashville to the ER next week. She has promised the kids a few days of vacation, Monday-Wendesday and after that she is going. They look just like pictures of frostbite. I am pretty sure the ring finger will have to be amputated to the first joint at the least and I fear if they don't get to the bottom of the problem possibly her hand. We knew this was going on, but had not seen it until yesterday.
Cindy, I loved meeting Jack on FB--you will enjoy having him, everyone should love a cat one time in their life !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I know this has been a very rough week for both you and Trish!

Terrie is right pallative care is the same thing is hospice. Alzheimer's is a terminal disease. As they progress and get to the stage where they are loosing weight and losing more and more abilities to do things themselves a lot go into hospice care. It's not uncommon for someone with Alzheimer's to be on hospice for over a year.They may still be able to walk around and do some things on their own. Normally someone goes on hospice when the doctors feel they have 6 months or less to live. Often times with Alzheimer's/dementia they live longer than 6 months and the doctor re-qualifies them again.....and again if necessary. They have to be continually declining in order to continue to be on hospice. Lot's of advantages of being on hospice. First it is paid for by hospice and medicare and insurance. They provide a hospital bed and other necessary equipment. They furnish depends, chucks, etc. They send a nurse out so many times a week and like in your aunts case physical therapist.

Sandra seems I've heard you mention the Burgers disease before. It looks like the doctors would be doing something about her fingers and not just waiting for test!! That sounds terrible!

Yes everyone should have a cat. I had never liked cats but decided to get one back when I was single as I missed having a dog but was gone a lot. A friend told me I should try a cat as they could be left alone for a few days at a time if I put plenty of food and water out. So before it was over I had 3 cats! I decided the one I got needed a companion so the second cat. That turned out to be the cat from hell and met an untimely death so I got another companion. Both lived to be about 18. I loved my cats but don't want anymore!

Ripley, MS

Maybe I did tell you all, but you are right, this is a serious situation that should not have to wait for test to be scheduled and waiting around.

Has Richard had a better day today?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Richard has not been a lot better today. Finally got him in bed! He's just been like a big 2 year old having a terrible case of terrible two's! Just can't decide what to do. Keeps asking what am I supposed to be doing.....where am I supposed to be....I don't want to watch that.....I don't want to go there.....etc. He wanted to go back to that same restaurant that he's gotten hung up on. I'm not going there every night! It's just a neighborhood little small place with a limited menu. Thank goodness it was actually closed tonight! I had a two for one coupon for Mimi's. It's his favorite (or had been) place. I suggested we go there. He said he hated that place!!! I explained it had the turkey and dressing and cranberry relish he liked. He reconsidered and decided he would go. Of course he ate every bite of his turkey, dressing and cranberry relish. Never eats the vegetables. He has just been restless. There was a full moon several nights ago and he's been acting up every since then. Hopefully he will start calming down this week.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yall are in my prayers Charlotte!!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Lifting you and Trish up Jeri.

Yes I guess all of us are softie for all types of pets at some time in our life. Growing up we had every imaginable pet because my dad was a small town policeman before you had animal control. When someone had a problem animal , unknown or hurt they called the PD. My dad had a soft heart so he brought home goats, pony, dogs, huge turtle, rabbits, chickens and calves. He did not care for cats so the only cat I can remember is the all white Tom cat that was only allowed to stick around because he was a mouser for the barn.

Charlotte glad you were able to convince Richard that the restaurant was closed. Trying to make them understand holidays can be hard. I am glad he enjoyed the fireworks show after all. Maybe next week he will be calmer. As I told you in text my SIL is getting a lot more aggressive pretty fast.

We did nothing for the fourth . I made hot water bread to go with some left over purple hull peas and pork chops. I have been feeding Jack between every 3 or 4 hrs so he is taking up most of my time . Next week going to push the feedings a little farther apart.

Sandra I hope Heather Goes to Nashville as soon as she can. That is so serious. The children can have vacation days later. Her health is the top priority.
My artist friend kept going to the local charity hosp here to no availe. Just her lupus meds. Finally they transferred Her to Shreveport . They said if she had been put on blood thinners sooner they could have saved her fingers. After 6 months the doctors here decided that was not what she needed and took her off them and she lost several more fingers. That is something that needs immediate attention and the right diagnosis by the right hospital and doctor. I hope she does something quick.
Is she in pain with the fingers? My friend was.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra has employment picked up around you? I read where the Fall Tupelo Market is supposed to be big this year. Thought maybe the factories were getting in the swing of things again.

Jeri, was thinking about y'all when I saw the FB post that it was the 1-year anniversary of Cameron's passing. Prayers for you all and hope you and Terrie will be at peace.

Cindy, your daylilies are still beautiful. I took more pictures yesterday but didn't have time to post them yet. I still have several that are blooming but not much. I have a beautiful late blooming red one, I think it is Crimson Flood, that is just gorgeous right now and I see it every time I look out the back window.

I've been busy picking tomatoes, squash, cukes and a few jalapenos lately. The tomatoes are going to be really coming in before too long. We had to set the trap this weekend. A possum or raccoon is getting a few of the low hanging ones that are getting ripe. Of course we haven't caught it yet. Smart thing is leaving the trap alone. Probably a coon. We probably need to bait it with something else.

Charlotte I'm sorry you're having such a time with Richard. I hope he calms down some this week.

Ripley, MS

Cindy, I think the problem is they don't realize how serious this is. Yes she is in pain with it, she was very sick for a few days in the bed before she went to the doctor that told her the possible diagnosis. She went to their local ER and they told her to go to a hand doctor, so she waited for an appointment with that one. You said the artist had lupus ? Heathers Mom has lupus ??
One of the furniture plants near here announced a 500 person addition was going to be made at that plant. I think some of the jobs that went to China are slowly coming back.

Eli loves apples, he will find every apple in the house and nibble on them. I usually hide them when he is coming but didn't this time. What I had were some that had been here a while. He was nibbling on one when his Dad took him outside, I noticed they put it on the porch, the next morning it was gone. Last night we hear a critter on the porch and it was a big old coon ! I know it enjoyed the apple !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra if someone's fingers are turning black to me that would indicate it is VERY serious! I hope she gets in to see someone that knows how to treat her soon!

Richard can be a pain but I'm actually very fortunate that he is not aggressive. He went through a stage where he tried to leave several times but seems to have gotten past that stage. Cindy it's really difficult when they are like your sister in law and you have a hard time keeping them safe. I know sometimes they have to be placed because they become so aggresive toward their caregivers the caregiver is not safe. So far I haven't had any of those problems. He stays fairly happy - just restless and always wanting something. His short term memory is just gone. One good thing is he hasn't smoked in about 2 months now. I have put lighters and cigarettes out of sight. He sometimes will go out the back door and just stand there. That is were he always smoked. I'm guessing he feels a need to go outside but doesn't know why. He can't figure out how to put his own clothes on. He came downstairs one morning and it was all I could do to keep from laughing. He had decided to change clothes for some reason and he had on two pairs of boxers. One at the right spot and another pair hanging down real low around his knees. Then he had tried to put a shirt on and had it upside down with his arm through one sleeve and the rest of the shirt just draped over his shoulder.

Sandra funny about Eli and the apples. Good that he likes them!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

My niece, Angie came up from New Orleans, Friday night and stayed a few days with Terrie and I really think that has helped her. Terrie came out last night to clean my house, there were just too many people here last week, when she normally cleaned. She normally doesn't strip beds but she striped her bed from where my niece from Ga. had stayed for a week so if she decides to stay this week herself it would be clean. I was so exhausted, I was gonna wait to start all of that today. I know it sounds cray cray as Peyton says...it's like a 3 ring circus as to who is staying here and when.

I have been sad all morning over Cameron and my cousin, Twynette just texted me that the hospice nurse told her this morning that my Uncle is in the last stages of Alzheimer's and from her experience he probably won't last a month. That is not bad enough but Twynette is afraid if something happens to Uncle Norman then Aunt Tharon won't last long without him. I know this is all in God's hands but it has made me even sadder.

I've been working all morning on trying to straighten out the paper work on the sale of our park. We are having a problem with obtaining a clear title. We bought the park and owner financed with Mr. Vic Angelli. His wife had died and their lawyer had us make 2 separate payments. Then just one payment to Mr. Vic after the succession was completed. Mr. Vic died and we made the payments to his daughter in Ohio. In 2004, we financed with Hibernia Bank and got a much lower interest rate and then Hibernia was bought out by Capital One. I have the paid note from Capital One but not a paid note from Mr. Vic's daughter when Hibernia paid her off. After 6 weeks we tracked down Mr. Vic's daughter in Ohio and she is 85 years old but she remembered us and agreed to sign a cancellation affidavit. We overnighted the document to her week before last and all she had to do was sign it, get it notarized and overnight it back to us. She got it, had it notarized and overnighted it back to us but forgot to sign it. We sent it back and she did sign it and sent it back last Thur. so I took it to file at the Clerk of Courts Office. They called this morning and said they can file it but won't cancel the note. So now I have no idea what hoop they want me to jump through and today I have no patience.

Man, Jeri, it always seems like it's something with real estate. I hope you get something figured out with the clear title. The banks & the city/county courts seem to be able to put a stop on anything they want. Makes me mad the power they seem to have.

Have y'all noticed a drop in the numbers of butterflies this year? I seemed to have a lot at the beginning of the year, but they sure seem to have dropped off, and I can't figure out why. I don't spray for anything that would kill them and I have seen very few even though all the things that are blooming are planted to attract butterflies. I finally saw a few the other day but nothing like the numbers I usually see. Really strange as the hummingbirds are really plentiful this year.

Ripley, MS

Jeri, today is not a day to be trying to do business. If you think of where he is and the joy he has now, it makes it much easier. He is not sick anymore either, no pain over there !

I have had lots of butterflies, but the tall verbena is what draws them here, they love that stuff.

Charlotte, if you do laugh at Richard will he laugh with you, or does it upset him ?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Actually I have just commented on the opposite. I have had quite a few butterflies but just a few hummers. How funny is that!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yea Sandra I have gotten where I don't care anything about business any more but it takes that to pay the bills. I know today isn't the day to do that either but what else am I gonna do. It's so wet here the only way to walk in my garden is to totally stay on the walkways and the back walkway, by the fence is even under water. I went out to the pond but it is steaming and didn't take me long to throw out the food today and get back inside.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have very few if any hummers and I have lots of feeders out. I cleaned the old ones good and even bought a couple of new ones. Don't know what the problem is. In my yard they usually feed on flowers and not the feeders. Maybe the right flowers haven't bloomed yet. I haven't noticed many butterflies either! I haven't sprayed either.

No Sandra he doesn't usually get mad if I laugh. I try to kind of make a joke out of it.

Jeri I hope you get your title situation cleared up soon. I know it's very frustrating and you want to get things closed!

Ripley, MS

Well, Jeri, you should visit with Terrie and Mary and Jim and talk about all the good times you remember having with Cameron, celebrate the good times and cry if you need to, but with emotions all over the place you should not try to do business today.
I canned 10 quarts of tomatoes and then went out and mowed a little, didn't last very long, but I did get it cut out by the mailbox and the other side of the driveway. I had Cayla bring me more Ripley tomatoes this week end, so I will be back at it tomorrow, they send varying stages of ripeness and that suits me fine.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

You are probably right Sandra but I've been up to my neck in paperwork most of the day. I did have a good cry and talked to Cameron for a while out by the pond this morning. I was hoping I would feel better but all it did was mess up my sinuses.

Ripley, MS

Good morning, yes, I am up this early ! The carpenters are here to fix the roof, that is the only reason !
I know it was a very hard day for you Jeri, glad you had a talk with Cameron. God Bless you all

Hope we all have a good day

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad you're getting your roof fixed Sandra! I took Richard to eat at the place he's been wanting to every night so he was happy last night. He has a group of friends that eat together every Wed for lunch. It's one of the places they used to eat at so I think that's one of the reasons he likes going there so much. He remembers going there with them.

I need to work on cleaning the house today. I always need to work on cleaning the house! But don't ever seem to make a lot of progress!

Hope everyone has a good day too!

Yes, Sandra, glad to hear your roof is getting fixed. Just in time....after the rains are gone!

Good to hear Richard has that itch scratched and is happy. Charlotte, didn't you (and maybe someone else) say your Limelight hydrangea had not bloomed? I have 3 that were planted 3 years ago and so far I haven't seen a sign of a bloom. They always die back of course and I trim them back. Maybe I'm not supposed to do that with Limelights? Anyway mine have never bloomed but they are pretty shrubs this year. I wouldn't want them any bigger for this particular spot but really would like to see a few blooms. I wonder why not?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.