July 2015-Booms, Blooms and Heat

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

First day of the month and already tornados and heavy rain.

Here's a pink orienpet lily blooming. Smells soooo good!!!!! Have another pink oriental next to it blooming also. Love getting out of my truck right now.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cloudy here , not a lot going on ,
Coneflower
project pot , cement over Ice Cream bucket , upside down still wet .
Next 8 gallon pot Mold removed , turned upright , Need the dolly , lol pot was falling apart , so left it (the Pot ) in the container
Mold for coffee can sizes , from the side and above , Cardboard liner , set cement , slide the mold off , another cardboard liner , and on to the next ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Zinnia and Butterfly and your lillium are more fun pepper ,, Pepper's Pretties !!! ^_^
Other is a Tomato , green Tomatoes so far .

Hi All

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I have itty bitty green tomatoes on the ones in pots and the ones in the ground are getting ready to set fruit. Main veggie issue right now is squash bugs. Trying to decide between spraying Dawn dish soap mixture or buying Cap't Jack Spinosad and spraying with that.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine is (issue) not enough sun , and too many Japanese Beetles ,, I have traps , Cannot find the Bait , it is here somewhere and sealed , I saw it two weeks ago ,
Guess I will go get some more if I do not find the stuff in the couple days ,, I hate bugs !!! I really do !!! lol Just say : Mosquito , like saying BOO !!! grrrrr ..

Butterflies and Bees are excluded ,, it's and age and of opinion , I guess? ,, or something ? lol

This message was edited Jul 1, 2015 9:36 PM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I am looking for some foxtail lilies. Anyone have some to trade or postage. I have lots of hosts to trade for some.... just putting a bug in someone's ear..

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

K.C. People: Are you all okay? Television said a tornado touched down near KC.

Patti

Joyce, radiation biohazard? ROTFL. How did they come up with that name?

Wonderful pictures. I love echinacea. Was at a nursery a few weeks ago and saw one called "tequila sunrise". Gorgeous! I plan on going back this fall when the perennials go on sale. Are any of the salvias perennial? I was looking at daylilies in the plant files. So many kinds! I wonder if any of them are fragrant.

About that poor tree; it has to go. I have been concerned about the tree since I moved in. The roots have buckled my driveway and are pushing on the foundation of my house. When the tree service came out, they asked me if I wanted to have the concrete in my driveway removed, so they could more easily get to the roots. Even if I had the money for that, which I don't, the effect it would have on my five year plan would be significant. I will just live with the buckled driveway.

That plant is gooseneck loosestrife. I read about it and it definitely is invasive. I am trying to figure out a way to contain it. I think it is so pretty.

I am learning my way around DG. I arranged to get some seeds last night. It's one of those SASE deals. I will be thrilled when I can offer things.

We are suppose to have a high of 86 today. It was 100 day before yesterday and my tomato blossoms have dried up. (Sigh) Weather forecast is for rain this afternoon – we need it badly.

juhur7, I have a hard time with bugs too. I do love the bees and butterflies, but also love fireflies, walking sticks and praying manits. Oh, and ladybugs.

I squished my first June bug last night. I'm sure I have 1 million more to go. I haven't seen any grubs when digging around. That's always a good thing.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Patti, everything is fine here. I live quite a ways north of the tornado area - Lee's Summit, Mo. - http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article26013937.html
There were no injuries I read. I visited an aunt and uncle Sunday in Lee's Summit. The tornadoes weren't close to them. It's just been terrible flooding around here lately. I can't think of any regular members here in that city. Lee's Summit is a pretty big city actually, I'm sure there are DG members there. I believe it's the 5th or 6th biggest city in Missouri in population and it's growing fast.

About bat-houses, I am guessing there is a big misconception about the roost chamber dimension. Midwestern bats are tiny and it took me awhile to realize that that chamber is only 3/4 to one inch deep. Somebody might think 2" or more but that's too much. 3/4 to 1" roost chambers are ideal. - http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/bathouses/BatHouseCriteria.pdf
No treated wood and WATER-based (no oil) paint or stain only, bats are like (most) people they hate chemicals.

Thanks Debra, that sister's place is beautiful!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2015 12:15 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

As far as DG members in Lees Sumitt we have KayJones. AuntB is in Independence, which is pretty close to KayJones. I called them both and they were fine with no problems from the storm.

I'll be heading up that way the weekend of the 18th.

juhur7, it looks like you are having fun, creating pots.

Shortleaf, so glad there were no injuries.

I was outside with the loppers, starting to take down a tree which was a gift from a bird. I was about a third done when it started sprinkling. Being more concerned with the dog than myself, I shoved him in the house and I went back out to clean up the limbs I had removed. It took me about a nano second to realize that was dumb. The limbs are strewn all over the yard but I'm safe and secure in the house. I'm tempted to put those limbs in a pile in the corner of the yard as an animal ( Bird ) retreat. I have such a small backyard, I just know it's going to look very tacky.

Someone here was bitten by a rabid fox; I think it was last week. It's not uncommon to see a fox here in the city.

I thought about Kayjones there but I couldn't remember if it was Independence or Lees Summit that she moved to. I was in Indep. two days ago and there are branches, leaves and sticks everywhere. AuntB, I haven't seen her since the 2009 Fall RU in Parkville, Mo., you (Debra) and her came there together.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I found my bug.. Charidotella sexpunctata not what I thought it was, tho. Guess I will quit finding them and killing them...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still looked like the " Beetle to me Debra ,,

Tuckersmom yes , when I make them correctly the pots are nice to have , no breaking corners when you take hold , things like that I have another made only takes a few minutes the simple ones ,,, days to dry proper though ..

Shortleaf , good to hear your and those about you are okay , Such a useless waste to be crippled by storms , and such ,, trees falling on people , people drowned in cellars , should never happen ,,, useless ,,,

Thumbnail by juhur7

Thanks Ju, all good here so far.
Yes, ju, I agree. Some people just look at trees as trees, like they're all good. A Silver Maple 20 feet from each the house and the driveway isn't good for anybody. Not just one but 3 in the front yard and their all the same distance from the house. Yeah, trees on cars, houses and unfortunately people (probably from widowmakers, aka falling branches), it could all be avoided if they were cut down.

Nice Zinnia there!

Storms missed us. We had a close call at one point when a storm north of us started forming the hook but it fell apart. None of my coworkers got hit by the tornados either. The closest they got to them was about 3 miles.

If anyone needs mulch now is the time to get it. Home Depot has pretty much all mulch on sale 5 for 10. I grabbed 20 cypress for this one spot but gotta wait on my dad to weedeat the spot for me.

Definitely nice zinna!! Still waiting on mine to bloom but hoping it's pretty soon.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I finally downloaded some pics and edited them so that Ju doesn't have to turn stand on his head to look at them. lol

Hummers, butterflies, bees, and wasps by day. Moths or "noctural butterflies" at night. My beloved button bush at it's peak.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Some June 24th pics of the veggie garden. Seems to be growing slower; though much rain -- not enough warmth and sunlight. Sungold tomato, broccoli, lavender and garlic, jalapenos, & cukes.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice pics GB but the thing is ? it all in how one views the world . anyway upside down or not the Sun will come out again ,
Cat had to much catnip ..the first ,, like the kiddies and sugar ,,,, bouncing to go out
Okay . i tried these upside down ,, they turned upright ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

A few more though it's past my bedtime. I've got one more day to work before enjoying the holiday weekend. I need to take some new pics. Blackberries are ripening daily.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Okay the rooster crowed at midnight when the Sunflower bloomed at the Moon

Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ju, you're a hoot! You make me want to visit Indiana. lol Good night all.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow you all just are so busy. All i do is work all day 13 hours. So tired of it. Hat kind of lily is this anyone know??

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Asiatic Lily, Tango Series. I don't know right off top of my head which one but wouldn't be hard to narrow down.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

pepper Nice lily ,!!! I don't know the name either , I remember seeing some for sale ..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh the picture does not do it justice. It is so neautiful. So any buds. My son who is 30 said they looked like an over ripe bananas. Lol. I love this lily I do not even remember planting this. So pretty. Have a great 4th everyone we have a very busy 4th planned it will be fun.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oops GL I kinda goofed there , Because I am doing bunches before storms start ,, Still is .. A real interesting looking bloom !!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh juhur, thats fine really believe me i make mistakes on here all the time!

Have a wonderful 4th everyone.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy Independence Day 2015. Picked some jumbo jalapeños today and made poppers. Like a firecracker in your mouth.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I was supposed to go visit family but I didn't get out of work when I was hoping too so I just came home instead. Can't see much here but oh well. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

From our backyard. Going off all around us. Pets were freaking out. Nicole and I enjoyed the show.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last night watched , tonight listening ,, boom , crack ,, KA Boom ,, ,
Born on the forth of July !!!
peppers and a a Hot Peppers ,, GB That"s the old pepper , ball games and USA ,,who could ask for more ???!!!
Well sleep maybe ,, lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, we had a very nice foirth also. Breakfast with some family watched a very long parade, went to a llcal ball club game. They losy miserably. But it was still fun. Very beautiful weather here too. Such a fun day. Did not see the fireworks but i heard them all around us for sure. The poor dog was going nuts. We tried some benadryl but really did not work for her. Today want to make my Keep Calm and Garden On sign. To put on my arbor....

I hope you all had a nice fourth of July. It was beautiful here yesterday, so I worked in the yard almost all day. I started out weeding, then a friend came over and mowed the grass. We took a break and went to our favorite little coffee shop, Twisted Java. He went home to take a nap and I again started working at taking down that small volunteer tree. By the time he came back a couple hours later, it was time for the tree saw and his muscle. We had firecrackers going off all day long. Tucker, the Labrador, was outside with us and didn't flinch once. For those of you with the scared animals, it is so hard watching them. My thoughts were with you.

I now have a pile of branches out in the driveway. I hope to get those cleaned up tomorrow morning before it gets hot.

I heard the last loud boom at quarter till two this morning. I must be getting old and intolerant – that's too late to be setting off fireworks IMO.

While everyone was watching fireworks, I was on my tablet, figuring out what I want to plant and where. So many beautiful flowers. I have a very small backyard. I don't think that's going to stop me from stuffing it. Poor Tucker will just have to learn how to tip toe through the tulips. And the Hosta, and the shrubs, and the lilies, and the... LOL

Have a great day everyone.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

New blossoms in my yard and a sign I made for our arbor. It is rustic for sure. But I like it.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Love the spider lily and your arbor!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks pepper i am annoyed about them loading sideways. Gggrrr

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I made jalapeño poppers yesterday. I took a plate to my new neighbor across the street saying, "Fireworks for your mouth!" She just smiled and her face lit up.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I planted the hibiscus last week. There were actually 2 plants. I planted one on each side of the crab apple tree next to the library. They both are still green and growing after all the rain. What color are they? The 5 shrubs are doing well too. The lilies are still blooming in the bucket. Very pretty colors. Two more blooms and they're done. Then I will plant them. I am just not sure where yet. Thank you again for these gorgeous healthy plants. Crazy Isabella just jumped in my lap. Guess she wants some attention. Back to work tomorrow.

GL, I hope that things slow down for you soon -- in a good way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.