Wondering what may be wrong with my Impatiens

Portland, OR

I have been picking at my Impatiens for several weeks now trying to keep them cleaned up. But, it does not seem like the flowers last very long, they get old and wimpy looking and brown on the outside of the petals. The plant itself seems to look healthy. Not finding any mold on the plant, but I am not happy with the flowers at all.

I got the seed from swallowtail, and they are supposed to be Xtreme Lilac.

Not sure if this is normal. I have read about the mildew issue with impatiens but seems more toward the leaves and mine look ok. Some flowers look great. Others, not so much. The plant is full of buds.

Some growing info -

They are in a 12" pot. They have been in morning to early afternoon sun, recently moved to a spot that receives less sun do to the hot weather here in Portland. I typically water daily when hot, and skip a day if i think it does not need the water. The plants are large so they do use a lot of water. The soil is organic, and i have given them some maxiBloom water-soluble fertilizer 3 times in the last 4 weeks. 1tsp mixed in 1gal water, once a week. All my flowers get it and they are doing great. I dont know if I will like this flower much if it is normally like this. Let me know if there is something else I can let you know about.

pics included. Any help much appreciated.

Karen

Thumbnail by lilmiss44 Thumbnail by lilmiss44 Thumbnail by lilmiss44
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

The pictures show normal growing Impatiens to me, I would question your feeding as in my opinion, that is too much, over feeding can give lots of greenery at the expense of flowers, and with Impatience, make sure you dont get water onto the flowers or foliage as it does cause that bleaching colouration on the blooms,
With Impatience, each open flower only lasts for around 3 days looking great, there after they begin to fade, drop petals and generally looking untidy.
I dont grow them outdoors any more for that reason, I love a large pot of them INDOORS but I water these from below to prevent water marks on the foliage or flowers.
You really should not think all plants need the same amount of watering or feeding, they usually have different need unless your talking about ONLY summer bedding plants, the plants might also be suffering from sunburn on the flowers, as this causes fading of the petals.
I found it best to go out in an evening and deadhead all the bedding plants, stick fingers into the soil to see IF they required watering as that for me was the best time to give the watering or liquid feeds, Best time to stroll the garden and admire all your hard work LOL.
These plants, depending on which ones you grow from the Impatience family, are very delicate, need constant care and IF mould is a problem, it can kill the whole lot of plants in a matter od days, BUT keeping them on the drier side around the stems does help prevent that happening.
You can take cuttings from them by cutting off a non flowering stem, remove the bottom leaves and set them into a class / jar of water, after about ten days, you will see tiny roots appearing, once these roots have grown a bit more, pot the plants up into smaller pots.
Hope this puts your mind at rest a bit and you can try to relax and enjoy your lovely display of Impatiens as they should be.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Portland, OR

WeeNel

thank you for the great info. it could be from the water getting on them. i have so many baskets i am not a very delicate waterer ha! i just want to get it done. i will work on that.

The feeding, ya i understand what you are saying. it is just easier for me to do them all at once. i have mucho flowers so it is not slowing them down any.

if this is normal for impatiens i will not worry too much any more, but it sure makes for a lot of work. hopefully the water thing will fix the problem.

Best Regards,
karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.