Help with my new rose garden please!

Lichfield , United Kingdom

I dug in a border for a rose garden & purchased 10 new plants earlier in the year. They were doing fine until this past week (although some have failed to bud/flower). Now they all look as though they are dying. See photos. The only two in the patch that are okay are older ones transplanted from pots. There were a lot of aphids (greenfly) on the new plants. Have I killed them with too much insecticide? The plants were from a reputable seller and looked healthy on purchase.
Does anyone have any ideas please- and if I prune back hard now might that save them? I would be grateful for any advice!

Thumbnail by ChrisHawk Thumbnail by ChrisHawk Thumbnail by ChrisHawk Thumbnail by ChrisHawk Thumbnail by ChrisHawk
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Were the NEW bushes bare root or all in pots, in pots the plants have had a while to settle it's roots into soil before the real growing season starts, then when the sap begins to rise (spring time) they are rewady to put on some good top growth, Most people think all roses sleep all winter, they dont, they stop supporting the top growth (Above ground growth) and use this time for making new roots, they send out fine roots to search for moisture, then start of spring, these fine roots take up the nutrients / moisture etc to set the top growth in motion,

You said you dug a border for the new roses and planted them, did you do a soil test to find out the PH your soil has, I would also have done a soil test to give you this info AND it would also have told you what deficiencies the soil had, what to add to the soil by way of humus, manure, any fertilisers etc.
Roses are greedy feeders, they like a nice rich heavy manured garden soil. this added manuring / humus helps break up the soil, allows air into it's structure, helps hold onto moisture long enough for the roots to take this up into the top growing parts.
To prepare for a Rose bed, it is always best to dig a trench 2 spades deep, half fill with well rotted horse manure or good quality natural compost, then as you dig the next trench, you place trench No2 soil into the first trench, continue this way till you have dug all the bed, the soil removed from trench one gets taken to the last trench, lightly fork all the bed to mix in the manure and then lightly trample the newly dug soil, then begin to place out your plants on the top of the soil, make sure the plants have had a good soaking over night, or IF pot grown, you give a good watering the previous evening. this gives the plants a good drink before going into the new environment. Make sure you snip off any damaged roots if the plants are bare rooted, as you place them into the new hole, spread the roots out, add a handful of blood-fish- bonemeal to the hole, this is NON chemical slow release feed. use to tip of your sho / boot to firm around the new planted plant, dont tread too heavy, all your doing is helping to make sure NO large air gaps are left around the roots. try make a hollow around each shub / bush, this helps when watering to stop water running off the top soil, (in summer a crust can form on top soil and when watered it runs off instead of down to the roots.

By doing that preparation, this saves you adding ANY of the chemical feeds that are on the market as these are NOT so easy to control and most new gardeners are inclined to over feed, give it more than stipulated on the box / packet etc, in other-words killing the plants with kindness.

Yes you could have overdone the insectiside's, especially on very tender new growth, if it was store purchases and there was chemicals in the insectiside, it can burn the foliage.

Always try either crush the tiny greenfly's by crushing them between finger and thumbs, or use home made, make a brew with garlic, a couple of crushed cloves of garlic added to 3 pints of boiling water, a tablespoon of Veg cooking oil and allow this to cool, mix well and pour into a spray bottle, then spray your infested plants, make sure you reach under the leaf too as the greenfly hide there out of reach from birds, other insects like Ladybugs with the red / black spots, they love greenfly. by spraying, you may have to do this a week apart for maybe 3 weeks to get rid BUT it is harmless to the plants, it makes a pungent smell to insects and they steer clear so instead of reaching for expensive chemicals this costs you almost nothing. you can use it on house plants, veg, and all other growing plants that are being attacked.
Make sure you water the Roses well avery few nights as in the heat of summer, they do need a good drink, water less as the weather cools for Autumn and begin again come spring, each spring add a handful of Rose food around each plant and hand fork this into the soil. never allow too many weeds to compete with your Roses as the weeds take first allotment of moisture being the stronger plants competing for the water.
After weeding, you can also through a top dressing of horse manure over the rooted area as this helps hold moisture into the soil, it also helps keep weeds away AND feeds the plants without resorting to any chemical feeds, the later are good for a fast pick-me-up but the organic feeds last longer, dont harm the plants and it adds goodness to the soil.

Hope all this helps you out as summer has got going, well got going down your way, here we still have electric lights on in day time, LOL, so much for our hot, tropical summer EH.
take care, enjoy your new planted Rose bed and try take your time, Rome was never built in a day and a garden takes a lot longer, it has to be given time to settle, adapt to the new environment and also take time to enjoy the garden.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Lichfield , United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your detailed reply and all your helpful advice. One question - if the insecticide has burned the foliage and unopened buds, will the plant recover and should I cut off the damaged parts?
Again, many thanks - there's a lot to learn with gardening! Christine.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

There is a lot to learn with gardening BUT, you learn best from doing things and that include mistakes LOL.
I have no idea IF you have burned the leaves and flower buds Chris, I was actually pointing out that these things happen when over feeding or over use of chemicals either feed or insectisides,

Have you already checked IF the plants have got enough water way down to the roots, do a normal watering, then stick your finger into the soil at that place and see IF water has sunk way down, or do the watering and use a little hand fork and gently scrape away some TOP soil, either of those tests IF the moisture side of the problem shows up then you can alter the watering.

Please dont use any more chemical things right now for Aphids or anything else right now, IF these pests do return, and normally they do, then try use the natural remedies I suggested,
Always remember, whatever chemicals are a remedy for killing of some insects, these products also kill of good bugs, like the ones that would eat the aphids, so as you go further down the gardening road, you learn to look out for insects that eat our plants before they go into the millions, and you have time to take action with the home made sprays,

Can you get a picture of the flower BUDS and Close up also of the leaves, there are many diseases that attack Roses and other flowers and these normally happen here in UK when we have very humid weather, no air circulating and dampness due to lack of sunshine, maybe your weather is different than up here in Scotland but to date this year, weve had very little good bright days, a few sunny days dont make a summer for that seasons flowers.

For now, Chris, try just watering, keeping an eye out for new growth, but DON'T cut back any part of the plants just yet, plants dont normally die off instantly, they are attacked with viruses, insects or drought AND too much water over a longer period of time, so it stands to reason, recovery takes a bit of time too. keep looking every few days for more bugs, BUT also check watering regime, summer time is when ALL plants use up loads of energy to grow, flower, set seeds, and while all thats going on, some bug or virus comes along and causes stress to the plants, it's a fact that all plants get infected by bugs, diseases etc, BUT when they are growing healthy and are happy with their environment, they can normally fight off these attacks, we dont have to go out with sprays, etc unless the plant cant fight without chemical help, BUT we should try other things first,the problem only gets worse IF we use different types of cures while the plant is trying to recover before we do other remedies.
Chris, when we all begin gardening, we are inclined to kill our plants off with kindness, others we manage to do because we were unaware of each different type of plants needs, so as you gain confidence, you learn to spot any difficulties a plant is lacking or has too much off.

Lastly, go along to your local library, book store etc, I found some great gardening books in second hand book stores for a pound etc, also charity shops are a good place to look, Gardening books are expensive, I always advise you have a look at the book before you consider purchasing, there re some real glossy books with wonderful pictures BUT they are absolutely useless for novice gardeners and very few show in any detail how the border or group of plants were created. look for books written in plane speak English that YOU can understand and dont have any scientific rubbish written, you want terminology that you can easy understand. I reject those books that are useless to the lay person, thay put more people off gardening and that's after they spend their £30 or more on the book.
Hope all this helps you get more info re growing plants and also helps you relax and start to enjoy your garden
Good luck and kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.