Well, the garden tour is over

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Unfortunately, it rained all day and although it was a light rain, it kept people away. But for the 12 people who came I gave them the tour and luckily my husband kept the camera ready.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Congrats on your 12 visitors!
Is this something you do yearly? I want to have my gardens in our areas "Open Gardens" but I'm too nervous. I applaud you!

Jennifer

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Well darn!
Well I hope you will give us a virtual tour- I really like these shots with the happy visitors! The rain sure makes it all look green and lush. Do you think you might do it again? I know it was tons of work.

Natick, MA

Its a shame the day had to be rainy! Your gardens are just lovely!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

With those lush gardens and the ladies with umbrellas, it looks like a scene straight out of an impressionist painting!

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you all so much for the kind words (the lady in the skirt is me).. The gardens were beautiful I must admit and I worked VERY hard to get them that way. It was disappointing to only have 12 people come(as opposed to the normal 100)..... It was still a wonderful day because the lady that got me started gardening and her husband came to see my garden for the first time. I was honored beyond measure. I think it was hard for her to fathom what a packet of seeds and some advice would start some 18 years ago. None of us realized my husband was taking pictures but I'm so glad he was!,

Thumbnail by rteets

Pleased to meet you! Your hubby took lovely photos-you might have to hang the second one up.

Natick, MA

Yes, those little seeds are terribly addictive, and to meet the "enabler" in person must have made it that much nicer a day!

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I promised some
Pictures and although the time of day isn't exactly right for all of them here is what the garden looked like for the tour. I'll put a few more in another post.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Here are a few more. I just wanted to show that I don't like to crowd plants (well, MOST plants) and I took some pictures of the art in my garden. I love glass in the garden and here are some examples.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi rteets your gardens are beautiful, I know it takes a lot of hard work to keep it that way.

The gardens are lovely. don't worry about anyone thinking that the plantings are too sparse, you have a cohesive garden that looks just right. The classic house is really shown off by the gardens you made.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Quote from Weerobin :
With those lush gardens and the ladies with umbrellas, it looks like a scene straight out of an impressionist painting!

Wee, that's exactly what I was thinking when I first viewed the pics! Rteets (would like to know the back story on your name), you look like such a Lady and very reminiscent of a proper Victorian Lady at that. Your gardens are gorgeous, picture perfect I must say!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Your gardens are just beautiful. How do you keep the edges of your gardens so well manicured. Do you have landscape edging...or do you do something else?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

They are all done by hand with an edging shovel (shown here). I have used edging in the past and was not happy with it. You can't change the contour of your garden, it heaves and is impossible to get back in and it just doesn't look as good. The edging shovel takes some work but it only needs to be once or twice a year and if you do it when the ground is soft after a rain it's not that bad. It also has the advantage of mounding up the soil so that over the years it raises the level of the bed and looks even nicer. My beds started out completely flat and have raised themselves over time with just the addition of mulch and the edging of the beds this way.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi rteets, I like your idea in the last picture of the paved path in the garden bed. This week I had the same idea but did not know how to implement it. Now I know exactly how , and I will do it in my front garden bed next spring. I have enjoyed your garden tour,hope I can do one sometime in my yard.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the edging tool advice. I really like the results.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the edging tool advice. I really like the results.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Rheets! Your gardens look very organized and beautiful. Very nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.