Sweet Potatoes

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Anybody here growing sweet potatoes? Any hints?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just stick the plants in the ground keep weeds out dig just before frost. About the easist plant ther is.

You don't have to stake the leaves? Just leave them alone except for keeping them watered? (I have them in a 4' X 4' raised (SFG) bed.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No they do best trailing on the ground. They do need root space so the individual plants should be a bout 18 inches apart.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm growing sweeties, too! 12 Vardamans, in a 4x8 raised bed.

Just trying to keep the vines inside the bed!!

How do you store them as I will have too many to eat, if they all come up nice?

Cedar Park, TX

Last year was my first year for them, but I pulled them and put some in empty pots (kind that plants come from the nursery in) and set them on the ground inside the pantry. Others I put inside a large mesh bag I'd saved from bulk purchasing oranges then hung from the bakers rack in the kitchen.

Both methods kept them in good shape until they were all gone about six months later. The key seems to be not washing them till you use them, and keeping some air circulation, especially during the early days while they cure.

Curing them is important. I tried eating some that were damaged during harvest, and though they are edible they were starchy and flavorless when fresh. It took a few weeks to gain typical sweet potato flavor.

CBLynn ~ Thank you so much for the information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.