ficus elastica disease?

Montreal, QC(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, I need help with my ficus elastica! While cleaning the leaves I noticed some weird areas that look like something has munched on them. I looked for parasites but couldn't see any. Does this look familiar, am I over reacting? It hasn't lost any leaves, but I'm worried.
Thanks!
Dana

Thumbnail by Cloudspinner Thumbnail by Cloudspinner Thumbnail by Cloudspinner Thumbnail by Cloudspinner
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks like the damage done by small sucking insects or similar pests. They punch tiny holes in the leaf, often while it is young, perhaps still in the bud or just opening. They suck out some of the plant juices. The remaining damage is just in a small area, and may not be noticeable on the back of the leaf. It might get wiped off when you are cleaning the leaves, if it is outside the bud. But if they are hiding in a place you cannot reach when you are cleaning you might want to use some pesticide. I would start with something mild like a insecticidal soap, but be ready to move up to something systemic, if needed. This will make the plant poisonous to pests, and will kill most pests that feed on the plant.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5a)

Thanks Diana! I went and bought an insecticidal soap and thoroughly washed my plant with it, both sides, hopefully this will do the trick. I'll watch the new leaves for munch marks.
I've had some problems with gnats lately, I don't think they are responsible though, I know they don't attack mature plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.