Liriope spicata, English Ivy planted together-which dominant

Baltimore, MD

RoundUp was sprayed on an area next to our house that had been covered with English ivy. The area has been bare now for three years. While waiting and encouraging ivy (planting small ivy plants) to regrow there, I also planted some liriope spicata (in desperation to cover the space). The liriope is sprouting up there. It seems to be progressing faster than the ivy. Now I am wondering which one will beat the other out in terms of growth. In general, occasional ivy plants find their way into our yard now and then which is planted with vinca minor but I am able to pull them out without much trouble. I am afraid the liriope spicata would be much more difficult to deal with if it started popping up in our very pretty vinca yard. Which one, the liriope spicata or English ivy is the dominant invasive and how do you think this whole liriope/ivy/vinca situation will develop?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh boy.
I think you'll have ivy with sprouts of Liriope sticking up. If you prefer the ivy, I think now is the time to go after any Liriope you see. When the ground is wet (like now, holy moley record breaking June rain) they can be pretty easy to pull with their roots and side shoots.

If the liriope is somewhat contained, you might tolerate it while the ivy fills in. Later, dig entire clumps while the ground is soft.

I don't think the Liriope will stray to the VInca though. I don't think I've ever found a Liriope volunteer, only spreading ones I have planted. And I don't find much volunteer ivy seedlings, ever.

Baltimore, MD

Thank you, sallyg, for your response. Forecasting future outcomes is iffy but the scenario you presented sounds very likely. Since no one else responded, I guess most everyone else agrees with you. I have started digging up the liriope spicata already. I understand it is a potent force.

Unlike you though, I do frequently find ivy volunteers in my vinca "lawn". I am using them to replant the bare ground beside our house. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.