Where to get martagons?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been searching for a place (preferably in US) that has a reasonable assortment of martagon lilies for sale for fall, but have only found one place in Canada with high prices ($25-35 ea) and shipping is a minimum of $40 ($25 + 15 phytosanitary cert.) and this is only for up to 4 bulbs. I tried B&D, where I bought my last martagons, but they only have one listed for this fall. Does anyone know a good place to get them?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't know if, by Canadian companies, you mean Parkland Perennials, but last year I wanted a peony that was not available in the US and I had a friend who wanted martagons. So we put together an order in which I ended up buying 5 peonies, she bought three, and she ordered 3 martagons. Everything was fantastic, and because we ordered so many items, the $15 meant nothing, because she insisted on paying half of it although the idea to order was mine. She lives about 20 miles from me, so I shipped the order to my house, and she came here to pick it up. I got the best peonies EVER (they all bloomed the first year, and with multiple flowers this year) and she was delighted with her martagons.

I placed my first order with The Lily Nook this year for a Griesbach I really wanted, and I think that may be what you are referring to, in terms of a company. Yes, it was pricey. But great.

You unfortunately cannot get an assortment from Old House Gardens, but he does a fire sale at the end of the season. Martagons are almost always left over, especially white ones (lilium martagon album). I paid a discounted price for 5, received 8 ($38 total) and they are incredible and the price rocked! But he only has the two.

Is there someone who can go in with you on the cost? If you can, and get them shipped to one address, the cost will come way down and, if my experience is anything similar, the plants will be amazing.

I have ordered from Canadian companies before. Pickering did not need the certs, but another company did, so I have paid it twice. I don't know if something is in the water up there, but the peonies are so much better than American ones it's sad. And the martagons were well priced.

Hi Donna. Yes I did mean Parkland Perennials, and I just found out that the Canadian dollar is only $.81 US, much less than I expected, so that helps, though credit cards charge 2.7 - 3% to do the conversion. I doubt that I can find someone local to go in on a purchase, but there are a few folks can try. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy from them, though bulbs shouldn't cost nearly so much to ship.

I also purchased a couple of times from The Lily Nook, as they had some great bulbs I couldn't find elsewhere, but of course not nearly as expensive as martagons.

Thanks for the info on the end of season sale at Old House Gardens. I don't have white martagons and would love to have some.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, go for it. They were outstanding bulbs. They bloomed the first year. Very few people must have wanted them. Can you imagine paying the bargain price of $38, and then getting 8? They must have been trying to get them out. Martagon was sold out. I had purchased some at my previous home.

This is second year, taken a few days ago. I realized that the picture doesn't really work because of the variegated hostas, but have a look at the development.

And talk about OHG quality, here is the first bloom on my lilium candidums from OHG.

The way the sale works is that it generally starts at something like 20% off, and every day the percentage increases. I seem to recall that I bit at 40% off. Keep an eye on his site.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I wish I had known. I'll definitely keep watch. Meantime I did another search (on google rather than explorer) and found another Canadian company with a good selection, similar prices, but much better shipping rates. It's called S-W Gardens, so you might want to check them out, though you have to go searching for pictures.

Pretty good for 2nd year on your albums. I don't think that any of mine except maybe dalhansonii did much in their 2nd year. It's probably year 4 now and all 4 cultivars put on a great show. There were originally 5, but one never grew much and finally died. If you don't have dalhansonii, I really recommend it because my one bulb turned into 5 of which I traded 2 last year and this year I have 5 again. 2 of my others are still 1 stalk and the other one has 2. Plus it's gorgeous.

Wyoming, MN

My martagons are in full bloom. Really produced a lot of lowers this year.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

S-W really does have some nice selections.

And frankly, one lovely thing about ordering from Canada is that you won't see your plants around the corner. I love that!

All of my lilies are having a stellar year, with massive flowers of very lovely shape. Lilies, roses and peonies - I love them all!

Wyoming, MN

Yes my asiatics are beginning and some orientals do not look to be far behind. It's fun to come home from work in the morning and tour the yard to see what is happening with everything.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

For me candidum, regale and the scented asiatic Red Alert are all blooming. I have a mix of very inexpensive lilies from Hallson (if you buy three they will sell them to you for $2.50 to $3.00 each) to my new Griesbach from The Lily Nook. Being able to plant lilies in 3's is really great because the first year effect is spectacular.

Below, three Sorbonne, three Crystal Blanca, three Prince Promise.

These are from last year. I used to buy one of a lily because they were so expensive, so the price decreases at some really great companies, like B&D Lilies, are very welcomed.

The fourth is lilium candidum, taken a few days ago, which I got at deep discount at the end of the season from Old House Gardens.

I love lilies. Fortunately for me no one else here does. So we don't have the lily leaf beetles. I can out in the morning and runs for several miles through my neighborhood, and I'll see lots of bridal veil spirea, yucca and bearded iris but no more than a handful of lilies, and they are all brightly colored asiatics.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Wyoming, MN

Yes I agree with the planting in 3's. I used to do the same as you and buy singles. The small groupings are way more beautiful and attention grabbing than the singles. The asiatics also multiply well so in a few years time they make a very nice display.

Wyoming, MN

Lilies are producing a burst of color all over in the gardens.Kushi Maya is blooming and the fragrant flowers are huge this year.Lots of asiatics blooming now orientals are not far behind. Seems to be a really good year for my lilies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.