Does anyone grow disporums?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

While looking online for new plants for my shady garden, I came across various disporums and though I've never grown any before, I ended up getting carried away and purchasing 4 different varieties:
disporum flavens
disporum sessile
disporum cantoniense (w/ lovely raspberry pink flowers in the pic)
disporum cantoniense "Night Heron"

Can anyone give me any advice about growing them, as I hope not to kill them off?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I had to look it up and I will have to add it to my shade garden. I see that it is related to the Tricyrtis, which I have and love. Here is a web page with some info.
Also called Fairybell
http://louistheplantgeek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=305:korean-fairybells&catid=4:a-gardening-journal&Itemid=6

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I also looked it up and it is also something that I want to add to my shade garden.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are a few I have grown:
#1 is Disporum flavens - easy.
Quite upright with dangling yellow bells in early spring (April here).
The rest are cultivars of D. sessile:
#2 is D sessile Goldbug - a variegated low-growing cultivar
#3 is D sessile variegatum - more vigorous than the golden variegates, in my opinion.
#4 is D sessile Awa-no-tsuki - very pretty but slow growing for me.
I lost both Goldbug & Awa-no-tsuki to a single tree-removal fiasco several years ago.
The guys basically dragged the felled trees through my woodland garden.
I wasn't very happy, but nothing to be done about it other than view it as another planting opportunity.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, weeding. I do hope that it likes the same environment as tricyrtis, because those are very happy in my yard. I do hope that night heron doesn't need zone 7 or more, or it probably won't make it through the winter. I'll have to remember to mulch it well.

Thanks for the pics, weerobin. I love that Goldbug and the Awa-no-tsuki. Sorry you lost them. If the ones I just planted are happy here,(and of course survive the winter), and are as nice as the pics, I'll have to try to find those others later on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.