CLOSED: Summer Chat 2015

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We came here from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1394787/#new
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1394787/#new

For many of us, the long, hot summer is here. Come inside, cool off, and chat with us.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room.

I love that old whirlygig.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks i love it also. Can not wait to get it in the yard. My husband is going to make a stand for it. But thanks for the new thread Cville. I have some more flowers open. Hopefully i can get out there tomorrow and snap some photos.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

So beautiful! I had my first lily's open today....bright yellow!

And I noticed a new flower.....that I didn't plant....so I tried my new flower identifier app...and boom...it's a straw foxglove! If you don't have the app....download "like that" flower identifier app...you take a picture of the flower and it searches and searches and gives you options to choose from that match your photo and then it tells you what the flower is!

I've used it on flowers I do know just to see if it works...and it totally does!

Thanks for the info. Going to look for the app now.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

A bloom app?? What. Neverheard of it. Lol Linda. I am going to look for it too!!! Sounds pretty intreging.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes it does. Thanks for letting us know about that app, Ali. Very useful. My old brain doesn't always remember what I planted where. I usually remember the names for a long time but after a certain point, I may not. :)

I love lilies. They are probably one of my three favorite flowers. I especially like the Asiatics.

Is anyone growing any herbs or vegetables? I have 'Giant Marconi' peppers ready to harvest, Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Those are beautiful. No herbs or veggies here.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I have cucumbers and basil ready. my watermelon are going crazy, and the Japanese beetles left me 2 peaches. they were sooo good!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The Japanese Beetles have arrived here too. They've decimated most of the roses. :(

Joy has the Old, New, Borrowed, Blue Interest Thread open
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1399051/

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

UGH...sorry to hear about the japanese beetles....they totally stink! Milky spore has really helped me stop the cycle of those pesky beetles....it was expensive but suppose to last for about 20 years in your soil. If you haven't heard about it....you should google it....but it works by not allowing the grubs to mature! Last year I only had about 20 all season....way way down from the hundreds I used to get about 5 years ago. I now have rose shafers....they totally eat all my rose blooms...pesky beetles....I've got to figure out what stops their life cycle!

I love the app....unlike some of you - I can't remember blooms and worse is I can't remember what the plants look like so I'm always asking myself "IS THAT A WEED?" and trying to control my urge to pull it out until it blooms! I know I've messed up and pulled out good stuff!

I decided to plant no veggies this year....we joined a CSA and are happily eating the farmer's garden and not worrying about the deer...for three years they ate my entire crop of tomatoes and some of the cucumbers and all of my greenbeans....!

Love the lilies CV....they are one of my favorites...so big and colorful!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I bought Milky Spore. It may have helped some, but they come in from the adjacent yards to feed on the roses and so forth - so it becomes difficult to keep ahead of them. And the traps just draw more. We are adjacent to woods where there is a large amount of unreachable (to me) acreage for them to feast on and where they can mate.

I didn't get signed up for a CSA here this year. Our Farmers' Market is terrific when it comes to having choice fresh organic produce all summer long. The only veggies I grow are the 'Giant Marconi' peppers.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I used the app this morning to identify another bloom. I just could not remember the name of this flower. It is a cosmos.

Love those lilies.

Thumbnail by taters55
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I just read the reviews is all. I personally did not try the app.
I ran outside to get pics of my blooms and was bombbarded with misquitos!!!! They are horrible out there. But here are a few blossoms open now in my yard. So pretty. I did not have time to look at tags so do not know names right now. Lol.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Got to show you all my birthday present. I will show beginning to end. This large trellis will hold a wisteria, starting tomorrow when I get it planted. It should grow up and form an umbrella, I will either put a round wooden bench around the pole, or two settee chairs, ooorr two round concrete benches. I am so excited. I have waited a long time for this, I am guessing it is about 7 to 7 1/2 feet tall, it is 39 inches into the ground with lots of sacrete.

first pic is the biggest wheel attached, second pic dh is welding the second pole to the first, and then welding the smaller wheel to the top, third pic getting it ready to go in the hole, forth pic tractor trying to push the pole in the hole, and last it is now sacreted in the the hole and LEVEL...lol

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Those are beautiful, but I love the purple clematis!

Joyce, that is awesome. What is sacrete?

sakrete lol just a brand of concrete.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are beautiful, Ronna. Can't have too many lilies. :)

I love Cosmos and need to plant some again. I had purple and white.

A neighbor has something similar to that, happgarden. He grows Wisteria on it. I'll try to take a photo one of these days. I saved an old torn patio umbrella and was going to remove the fabric and use the frame as a trellis. Alas, I've never gotten around to it.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

ONE OF MY GORIOSA LILIES OPENED. DIDN'T REALIZE THEY HAD COME UP.

Kathy, we need pictures!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I will try. I promise

All of my daylilies are in a riot of color. This is really late. I know one year I went to daylily farm on my birthday and about everything was over blooming. I have never seen them so strong but we have had an amazing amount of rain.

Can't wait to see the pics of the GORIOSA LILIES.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My nephew used a wheel on a pole like that and planted green beans around it and let them climb up to the wheel. It was fun going inside to pick.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Blooms Ronna! I love that trellis Joyce! I might have to try something like that...

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Here are some of my gloriosa lilies.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Those are so pretty!

Several years ago, I got large bulbs from different swaps. I planted them, and nothing ever bloomed. I got huge beautiful leaves, but nothing else. Well, look what I saw growing yesterday. I don't know what the plants are, but I will know soon I hope?

Debra, is this one from you?

Thumbnail by taters55

Very pretty Gloriosa lilies Crystal. Can't wait to see what you have got there LK.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

the blossom did, boy I have a passiflora

Kathy, get that camera working.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Finally a day of sunshine and where am I spending 12 1/2 hours. At work. Just my luck that the prettiest day we will have this week and I am stuck inside

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry katgroves. I know believe me!! We have been working 3 hour days at my job too. But i did have thelast two days off and today i spent it with my ten month old only grandchild. She is such a gem! Love her so much. We had a fun day for sure. So what kind of lily is this any way??? One of my hucheras, my jungle on the side of oir house, my japanese fern and last but not least my sweet sweet Avery Layne.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

It just opened up. What is it?

Thumbnail by taters55
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Katgroves I meant to put we r working 13 hr days at my job. Makes for a very long and tiring day for sure..
Does any one gave foxtail lilies to trade or for postage? They are do beautiful. All the gardening site they ate gone for this year.

Crinum pedunculatum, Spider Lily. LK I think it is one of these.

Thanks for the ID on the plant. It sure opened quickly.

It's very pretty LK. I don't have any spider lilies.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, love the spider lily. Very neat.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Some new blossoms. And made a garden sign for our arbor. Quirky but I do like it.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.