New to forum

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I officially subscribed yesterday, although I stumbled upon this site about a week ago. I know nothing about gardening, but I really want to learn. Of course, the temperature will be 97 today and 99 tomorrow. To late to get anything in the ground now.

A tiny bit about me. My name is Patti and I live in Wichita, Kansas. I share my home with a chocolate Labrador named Tucker and his two feline sidekicks, Mynx and Tess. When I brought them home last October, Tucker learned what mothering was all about! He was so patient with these four week old kittens - so proud of him. The only issue we have is the fact that he goes outside with me, but they are strictly house kittens. They do not want to be stuck indoors. I don't want them crossing a busy street in order to get to the river.

I planted three tomatoes this year. My first attempt. I'm sure I've done everything wrong, but I have two fruits that should be ready to pick within the next few days.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom Thumbnail by Tuckersmom

I'll bet the picture of the animals is confusing. Tucker is nine years old and we have always lived alone together. He had my complete and undivided attention. When I brought the kittens home, they weighed less than a pound apiece. The rescue lady I got them from said they were sitting in a box outside of the euthanasia room door – the next to go in. That just breaks my heart. I am so glad Jax rescued them. They have brought so much joy and laughter to this home. The picture in my original post was taken February 3. This picture was taken October 3. Mynx is a diluted calico and boy, does she have personality!

This second picture is in front of my front porch. When I moved in in 1997, I brought two lavender with me from my former residence. They were quite small when I moved them. And now, they are out of control. I didn't know enough to prep the ground – just plopped them in. I have a raccoon that likes to sleep in it. Sweet dreams!

Sorry about my finger in the lower right-hand corner. I tried to crop but...

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Alton, IL

Welcome, Patti! I'm also a 'new' gardner. Don't worry about any mistakes you might make. The people here are very nice and helpful. You'll also notice that we tend to hang out in 'monthly' threads. There's one in progress for June, so feel free to come over and join the conversation.

My name is Dyan, and I live in Illinois. My garden started sort of 'accidently'. I had just moved down here from Minnesota and one day I happened to look out my window while having my morning coffee. And there was my brother........ digging a hole in my front yard. Seems he had decided that I "needed" a plant. hehe One discussion led to another, he suggested I head off to Home Depot for some bushes, and I ended up with what I call "pretty flowering things" instead.

I also have kitties, but no dog. And, like yours, mine are strictly indoor kitties. :)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome Patti!!

If your kitties really want to get out you can buy a leash and harness and walk them like dogs. lol. Some cats really enjoy that.

The fun part about gardening is you make mistakes all the time so if you kill a plant you don't really like anyways you can just replace it with one you do like!! lol

Hello, and thanks for the invite to join the thread. I'll be over in a bit. I'm outside in this heat and deadheading my daylily and just came in for a drink of water

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Patti I love your front entrance and wowzer to be able to sleep in a bed of lavender! I would LOVE to be able to grow lavender so you may be new, but you obviously have a green thumb!

Glad to meet your family. We have 3 dogs and 1 cat all abandoned. We are the first turn around outside of our little city and people drive out make a u-turn and throw their animals out. Years ago we had 6 dogs, we would rotate 3 in kennels and 3 out....lol Course if I was home they were all out. We have since added chickens, 4 ducks, and some fish in a small water garden I dug.

I just lost the post! I'll try it again.

I think the lavender likes poor soil and the occasional drink of water. No green thumb here.

I don't know how people can abandon animals. It breaks my heart. Thank heaven there are people like you to take them in. I have had several rescue dogs over the years. My Chow mix boy was extremely grateful. I was terrified of chows – until I got one. LOL – to show you how terrified I was, I named him Monk, hoping he will grow into his name. He certainly did. He passed 6/1/06. He was my heart dog.

I would love to have chickens, don't think my neighbors would understand. Oh but for fresh eggs. Sounds wonderful.

I lived in Prairie Village decades ago. I really liked Kansas City. Once upon a time, I spent a lot of time in Lawrence. I was always surprised how, when you get to Emporia, the weather could change. It was as if an invisible line were there. Bad storms in Wichita but sunny and clear on the other side of Emporia.

I have to go buy dog food now. TTYL

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I forgot to welcome you in this thread, Patti. I'm sure you'll find everybody friendly here, I always have too. It's almost dinnertime, be back later!
Will

we had a pit bull puppy dumped and we named her pig cause she would eat anything we gave her. She was not mean at all! Like I said we have had soooo many dogs and cats.

I live north of KC, but use to work for a living and would drive thru Wichita, I met Debra a couple times while I was going thru. Debra comes up here also.

Don;t underestimate your green thumb! Anyone who can keep Lavena alive has a green thumb.

I have been transplanting day lilies today since it is overcast and cool. I put reddish orange day lilies next to pink purple and yellow...lol not good unless you are color blind. Was probably too wet since it rained last night but with me there never seems to be a good time.

Thanks for the welcome! I feel like we touched base when we talked about the bat house. I sure wish some bats would move into mine. I need to get my dinner going too. Talk later.
Patti

Joyce, I was actually looking into rescuing a female pitbull puppy about this time last year. I had my feelers out, but then I fell and shattered my right hip. That that the dog on "No can-do".
Now I have the two cats. My thinking now is to just wait. My 88-year-old mother is talking about moving in with me this fall. She has a Lhasa Apso named Elizabeth. I call the dog Noodle. She goes limp when you pick her up. LOL

I want to get outside and plant stuff, but I'm holding off till after the tree comes down and it starts getting cooler. In the meantime, I am making up my wish list. There are so many beautiful plants!

Wow talk about goofy weather this week!! Tornadoes yesterday, now later this week high is going to be 66!! Then later by Sunday start hitting the 90's... geehz.

Wichita is experiencing the same type of weather, but without the tornadoes. I was just thankful we received rain two days ago. I was hoping for some slow, steady rain yesterday. Instead, it would spit a couple drops and then stop. I'm loving the fact that it cooled off. That will be short-lived, but it was a wonderful respite. The anticipated high today is 76°. We will be back up to 98° Sunday.

64 was our high today. Felt goooood!! Especially for being July!! lol

I know Pepper, I am loving this weather! We have an 80% chance of rain tomorrow. Now they're saying it will be 100 by Sunday. Humid! I shrink into a puddle in weather like that.

Sunday I'm supposed to go trail riding up north. I've been trying to get up there for awhile now but the rain keep interfering. lol. I don't like the really hot temps like that either but I'm going anyways. lol

I don't blame you for going. We all deserve to have a good time now and then. Maybe it will be a little bit cooler where you are going.

You know, I'm just a city girl,so trail riding sounds romantic. I mean that in the sense of peace, tranquility and nature. Fresh air, the sounds of birds and, hopefully, some laughter. The motion of the horse under you, the sounds of the leather creaking and… Can I come too? LOL Considering I've been on a horse once in my life, although it sounds wonderful to me, I know you have to be in great shape to be able to get on a horse and ride for any length of time. I doubt that I could even get on the back of a horse. R0TFL

If you're going north, will you be going to Iowa? Never mind, none of my business. But please have a wonderful time!

Patti

Just going south of St. Joe a little ways. About an hour or so north of the city.

Riding will whip anyone into shape if you do it enough. lol. I can't afford to take lessons or even to own a horse so I try to catch good deals on trail rides or try to bum an occasional ride with friends or something. Horses and gardening are in my blood big time so I'm hoping eventually I can get in a position to have my own place with animals. lol

I had 2 Aunts who rode. In fact, years ago, they rode in the Rose Bowl parade. As for me, horses have big teeth! Those aunts bribed me to get me on a horse. LOL It felt like we rode 10 miles and that was it for me.

I hope you can get your own place so you can have your passions available 24/7.

I am so loving futzing with the few plants I have. I totally understand what you mean by "I can't afford". I am trying to figure out how I can squeeze an average of $50 a month for gardening. I'll bet I spent easily $150 in the last two months. Of course, I was robbing Peter to pay Paul. LOL This month will probably be closer to $30. I'm going to go ahead and buy some seeds. Everything I have read says to plant either three, five or seven plants, in order to have a sense of continuity. I guess my continuity will have to reflect through the use of white plantings.

Like I said, I have to get this tree situation completed first. And I still have to address the Ivy on the north side of the house. In all the years I've lived here, I have never really paid attention to how much sun that area gets. I've been halfway watching the last couple months and have realized it's not nearly as shady as I thought it was. I think that's a good thing.

It's almost 1 AM and I need to call Oregon. Later!

Let's see south of st jo and north of kc you are at my house Pepper. But I don't got no horses..lol, they are so big. My DGD is taking riding lessons every Saturday. 45.00, wowzer. She loves it, so she rides when it is 10 and when it is 110.... I don't do cold..lol

We didn't make it. My friends forgot their wallet and on top of that the pumps at our local gas station were running super slow so we have to reschedule. We were going to Dearborn area at Wild Rose Equestrian Center. They are on groupon and have the cheapest prices. lol

Use to be a good restaurant in Dearborn but it closed and moved to smithville. Still not far from me, but anything within 20 miles we consider close...rofl.

Well maybe you will have better cooler weather for riding.

We're gonna hold off until fall now for riding. Horses will be happier and so will we. We want to explore the area after we're done too. lol. Hit up St. Joe and wherever we feel like. lol

Good idea about holding off, it has just been miserable hot!!. Love summer but horrible week we have had.

I was in the heat all day. Felt good once we got outside the holding area and into the parking lot. Had a nice breeze going. lol.

You are one tuff cookie, this weather is the pits, glad I only have to do what I want to do and not work in it.

Maybe it will break and just be normal hot....

It will this week!!! 80s to low 90s all week with chances of rain most days. LOL. The rain the not normal part. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A real late hi there , I lost the usual forum . I will find it again , I like reading the central postings ..

Tuckersmom ..
About the containers a while , ago ..
This is about the best $4 planter , compression box blew up on the left side though .
Messy in the garage aren't I ?

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.