Gaillardia & Stokes' Aster Didn't Come Back This Year

Maynard, MA

2 years ago, I planted several gaillardia and one stokesia (a large one), along with other native perennials. That first season, the gaillardia spread like crazy, and the stokesia did well. Last year, the gaillardia returned but were not as expansive, and the stokesia was enormous. This year, only 2 little gaillardia have appeared so far, and the stokesia is not showing any signs of life. I can't figure out why these two plants aren't doing well. Does anyone have any ideas?

The rest of the perennials--phlox, coreopsis, butterfly weed, agastache, boltonia, baptisia, etc--are all doing well. The garden is full sun, soil is somewhat sandy. I wonder if the stokesia's roots were encroached upon by some nearby bulbs. The gaillardia, though, aren't being encroached upon by anything. Also, last fall I was unsure if cutting back these perennials was a good idea or not. I did cut them back, but I cut all the others back, too, and they were fine. What do you think?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Try digging up any roots (if any remain).
When I hear 'sandy soil' I think of Nematodes. AKA Root Knot Nematodes.

I have NO idea which plants are more susceptible, though.

In general, I also would care for these like you have: Thorough clean up at the end of the season. Minor clean up, deadheading while they are flowering.

Are they OK in your zone? If they are marginal, did you have a colder than average winter?

Maynard, MA

"Try digging up any roots (if any remain)."
Why?

"Are they OK in your zone? If they are marginal, did you have a colder than average winter?"
They are definitely OK in my zone (zone 6)--not marginal.

Natick, MA

Shayna,

I waited a bit to answer because this was my first winter with Gaillardia. I bought my first plant last summer, and it bloomed all summer and to early Nov! It made me a Gaillardia lover. I had a couple people tell me (they live in PA) that their Gaillardia never made it thru the winter, one person tried it several years. So I wasn't holding my breath. However, it came back with great gusto and is

I went out and bought 8 more and planted them in the last few weeks.

I did not cut my gaillardia back in the fall. I just left it as it was. I wondered if people who experienced a loss was due to not enough good drainage? I have a heliopsis on one side of it and a coneflower on the other, all 3 plants bought/planted at the same time, and all came back well. Dont know if that has any bearing.

We did have a bad winter, and in some places, ice sat over landscape. I dont know if that has anything to do with it??? Your guess would be as good as mine at this point.

""Try digging up any roots (if any remain)."
Why?"

To see if the roots have been attacked by any pests or diseases such as root knot nematode.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2015 5:08 AM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Too see if there are any roots left...

Maynard, MA

OK, I'll try digging up the gaillardia roots.

But the aster's another story. Oddly enough, I now see it beginning to poke out through the soil. Therefore, it must have roots (could it still have nematodes?), but why it's just emerging at a time when it should be starting to flower is perplexing.

You can start digging very slowly and carefully, so that if there is something there, where the Gailardia is supposed to be you won't disturb it.

Usually plants that sprout at the wrong time have been responding to odd weather or some other trigger. Sometimes they are getting eaten as they grow so you don't see them. Finally the pest is finished eating and the plant can grow.

Yes, plants can still grow with some pests or diseases, but often the growth is weaker.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Shayna,you aren't the first person to post about your plants acting strange....I know,in Tx, we've had some really strange weather. Please, let us know what you find.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.