Baked bed...

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

My sister has put a heck of a lot of work into her front yard - it's beautifully landscaped and she's honestly spent more time on it than I thought she had the patience for.... So it's a shame that when she had a new roof put on the house (she's big into home improvement. Also it was leaking), the roofers draped a tarp over one of her beds and dropped all of their debris onto it.

Last month (or even two weeks ago) that would not have been a big deal, but it's warming up and the temperature was in the 90s and the bed, sitting under that tarp, was just roasted alive.

When she got back, she watered everything thoroughly, and I THINK things will bounce back with time, but... it's pretty darned ugly.

The pictures included here are her Mugo plant (poor little mugo. I planted that sucker three years ago, and I'm attached) and an ornamental grass (though I confess, I have no idea what it's called). Do you have any suggestions for how we can help these bounce back and look good this year?

Thumbnail by JessJess Thumbnail by JessJess
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Ornamental grasses have a pretty strong come back. Let it do some recovery, and when it shows some new growth your sister can remove the broken parts. Cut these way down, just about to the ground.

The Mugo Pine can be pruned. Cut off all the brown bits. There is plenty of green to recover.

Do not feel too sorry for them and drown them with too much water. Deep soak, then let the soil dry out some. Roots need oxygen as well as water. Constant water encourages several root rot diseases.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks Diana! That's a relief - I'm pretty attached to the mugo.

I'll remind her not to pity-water (good term!) and we'll just keep an eye on it. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.