How can I weed proof raised garden beds?

Gosford NSW, Australia

I'm going to build a raised garden bed to run along a fence and around behind the pool. It's going to be from scratch as we're having a lot of building work done. We back onto a creek and the lantana, wisteria and wandering weeds can grow straight into our yard from under the fence and from our next door neighbour's. I want to line the beds with something that allows the base of the beds to drain but will discourage any of the unwanted vines growing up through the plants. Does any one have an idea of the best thing to do this with? I'm not worrying about weeds growing in the top of the bed, they should be easy enough to remove but I think ones coming up from the bottom will be harder to get rid of.

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!