Pruning a Serviceberry

(Zone 5a)

We bought this in May to replace the lilac. The height is about 6 feet tall. We are planting for birds and other wildlife. The lilac didn't do much for attracting bugs, but it made a good bird holder. :) I didn't care for the smell of the flowers, so I am glad it was cut down before it could bloom again.

My hopes is to have this thing fill out similar to the lilac to provide a place for the birds and to have a branch or two strong enough to hold a couple of feeders. We've never really pruned anything with the goal of "training", just to get branches away from people who didn't like running into them when they mowed. What would be the best way to prune this so it can fill out? And when would be the best time to prune?

Thank you for any advice.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Read a bit online and/or in tree books about pruning, to get some general ideas in your mind about ways to manage the crown/structure of a woody plant - like a large shrub/small tree category plant like your serviceberry. Then, when recommendations are made here from contributors, you will have a good idea whether they are speaking in regular gardening terms or using more arboricultural and scientific language.

Since you are after habitat and wildlife interest, I'm not going to venture down the ornamental or scientific path with my comments. By your statements, it sounds like you want a healthy dense plant which provides cover for birds and forage in the way of flowering and fruit production.

I wouldn't do any pruning that removes fruit - which I think I can see in the first image. Let the birds (or you) eat that. Tip prune new growth extensions in early/midsummer before they set next year's flower buds, and prune back to an outward-facing bud. Encourage growth away from the house (toward sun) and discourage growth toward the house - imminent problem with siding/windows/maintenance. Pruning to elevate the crown above itinerant mowing devices and humans is always a good plan - you don't want "accidental" damage to branches and stems, or humans.

Otherwise, watch it grow! Moisture in droughty times and average fertility is pretty much all any Amelanchier is after. Maybe a mate - this genus fruits more prolifically when cross-pollination amongst individuals is available.

(Zone 5a)

I forgot about this thread. A belated thank you for the reply.

Yes, the birds came quickly to eat the berries. Bluebirds and Robins. The Robin was too heavy to get to the smaller branches, but it was funny seeing it try.

I pruned it after reading a how-to and I hope I did ok.

A couple of weeks ago, I learned rabbits like to munch on the bark. It chewed through one spot. I put chicken wire around it. Is there anything I need to do for the tree, or is it ok to leave it be? I can take a picture if you need it.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I like the berries on this!

I haven't spent much time investigating, but my Canadian amelanchier does not seem to produce fruit. I just admire that it's growing a nice clump of trees in spite of complete neglect, in a fairly shady area at present. In early spring, the winter moths make a b-line for it, but I can't possibly trim all the Norway maples on neighboring lots. As the many declining ash trees get thinned and allow sun in, I wonder if I'll possibly get fruit?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Amelanchier genus is a member of Rosaceae, which have better fruit set when there is cross-pollination opportunities between non-clonal trees. In other words: if you have another one nearby that is not identical - and bloom times overlap - you'll have the best opportunity for the most fruit set, pollinators willing.

Serviceberry are naturally understory and edge of woodland species, so while they won't flower their heaviest in a shady spot, they should perform decently. You should have fruit if you have some cross-pollination going on.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

That probably explains it all. I scrutinize the trees in the neighborhood but don't see any others. Thanks.

(Zone 5a)

Ooo, I might not get berries next year. When we bought this, it already had flowers on it. I'll have to see about getting another. Maybe the Amelanchier sanguinea.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Think I have to research a companion, so I will look into this! Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.