Coreopsis

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

The garden tour is I week away and I have to say my gardens look fantastic. The culmination of 18 years of gardening. There's not much I would do differently except for one thing - I would have lots more coreopsis! Especially the new colors and varieties. I already have Zagreb, Tequila Sunrise, Sunset Strip, Route 66, Mercury Rising, Red Satin, Early Sunrise, Sienna Sunset, and Cruizin Sunset Strip and that's not enough for me. I love them all...
Picture is of 'Sienna Sunset'

Thumbnail by rteets
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Could do a little photo shoot and post it here? We want to do the 'Virtual Tour"!
I suppose you might post it in the Garden Showcase section, but notify us here that the tour is on. I tend to forget to look there.
I have few Coreopsis that are actually perennial here. In fact really the only one is Jethro Tull which is outrageously tough for me. I have finally learned not to try to deadhead it. The dead flowers hang on and are hideous, but cutting them off individually will make you crazy. Now a couple of times a summer I just cut the whole thing back, and it grows back and flowers more.
Last year I again succumbed to temptation and bought a 'Pink Sapphire' which I was in love with. It bloomed for 6 months, but of course did not return this spring : (

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I will take pictures of the garden as it is for the tour as soon as the sun shines a bit! Also, I am not sure what will be blooming then. That sounds crazy since it's only a week away but I have 7 or 8 things right on the edge - maybe they'll make it in a week - maybe not.

Here are a few pictures taken in the last month, however.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Love the path. Gardens are beautiful.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Gardens are grand - should make for a great tour.

I especially enjoyed your white Siberian Iris.

Natick, MA

Just lovely! Something to aspire to!! :o)

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Do the new varieties return for you? I found that thought the large yellow-orangish ones proliferate and even take over, when I tried a few of the newer ones several years back, they didn't return, so I haven't tried any of the newer hybrids.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Since we are talking coreopsis. Help me out. I have these really tall (salsa - I think) coreopsis. They get so tall that they flop. What can I do or plant them with so they won't flop?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My Jethro Tull flop too. I tried cutting them back in spring so the stalks do not grow so tall (Chelsea Chop), but it did not help. They just flop. I can't figure out how to stake it nicely, it is not really tall enough for that. I threatened for years to get rid of Jethro because of this, and the ugly brown dead flowers that hang on forever. I finally realized that I just can't fix those two problems. I kept it because it is a tough survivor with endless blooms in a very difficult site-full sun, clay, and hard to water in summer because of a slight slope. Most things there just die. Now I celebrate the floppiness, and a couple times a summer just cut the whole thing back and let it bloom again.
Your coreopsis are tall, so maybe either cutting them back once in spring or using a peony ring might help.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Pistil - thanks for tips to keep coreopsis standing tall. I have some of the peony cages I should give that a try. I have waited until these coreoopsis were done blooming before and cut them back about half way. Guess I should cut them back to the ground this year after they bloom and give that a try (like you mentioned) - I'm sure it would not hurt them.. Some of them had gotten so floppy, I weedeated them the other day, so I could mow around the bed.

I could also use a suggestion on some other plant(s) to wedge the coreopsis in the middle of, that might cause them to have to stand up.... These coreopsis, that I have, are at least 48" tall and here is how they flop.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

As far as coming back, they all did. I lost one 'Tequila Sunrise' but the others were fine. I had no problem with 'Sunset Strip', 'Mercury Rising', 'Rt 66' or 'Zagreb'. They do alright in this little corner of the world.

As far as flopping over, I've never seen a coreopsis get 4ft tall. I do have a Heliopolis that gets quite tall and flops over. I put several tall stakes around the plant and 'fence' it in with string. It's a very pretty flower - worth the trouble, I'd say.

Thanks, rteets. I might try one of the newer hybrids again.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I will do a photo shoot if you like and I'll be sure to put all the coreopsis in it. I will start a new thread about the garden tour (which was today). Look for it.

That would be great. Thanks.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Will look forward to your photo shoot - rteets. Hope the garden tour went very well.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Regarding flopping: I have Zagreb--stands up really nice and full of blooms. I really like it.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I posted general pictures of the tour in another thread but I will post some pictures of my coreopsis here

1. Tequila Sunrise - love the variegated foliage
2. Red Satin - deep, rich red blooms
3. Sunset Strip - middle of pic (Orange)
4. Early Sunrise - double yellow blooms
5. Rt 66 - my husbands favorite.

I don't have to stake any of them, even the tallest - Zagreb (not pictured)

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I like them all! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.